Photo Gallery: Secretary Tours Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority Chaboya Division
(July 21, 2011)
- Secretary Solis arrives at the training facility for the Valley Transportation Authority's mechanics training program."
- Russell Anderson, bus maintenance instructor for the VTA, and Michael Hursh, deputy director of operations, begin the tour through the training facility.
- Recent graduates of the upgraded skills training program explain hybrid technology to the Secretary.
- Secretary Solis asks the retrained mechanics about the program and their career opportunities created through the Joint Workforce Investment program.
- The Secretary shares a light moment with one of the recent graduates during the tour.
- Russell Anderson compares the old diesel engine to the new hybrid electric engines.
- Russell Anderson and Cindy Chavez take the Secretary outside to see one of the new buses.
- Secretary Solis enjoyed talking with one of the operators in the JWI program about driving the new 'green buses' that were built in nearby Hayward, Calif.
- Secretary Solis arrives at the maintenance facility for the new hybrids.
- Secretary Solis spoke to a gathering of the mechanics in the maintenance facility for the hybrid buses. Joining her are Cindy Chavez; Bill Capps, deputy director of operations for VTA; Doug Bloch, Teamsters Joint Council; and Tom Fink, director of the JWI for the Amalgamated Transit Union.
- Secretary Solis is joined by members of the Amalgamated Transit Union who work in the maintenance and repair facility.