Photo Gallery: Memorial Service Marking the One-Year Anniversary of the Upper Big Branch Mine Explosion
(April 5, 2011)
- Whitesburg Elementary School hosts one of several memorial services for the victims of last year’s mine explosion.
- Words of tribute adorn shirts worn by family members.
- Acting W.Va., Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin, State Police Chaplain Jimmy Mitchell, Sen. Joe Manchin, Sen. Jay Rockefeller and Labor Secretary Solis are among the speakers.
- Sen. Rockefeller and Secretary Solis share a moment of solidarity.
- MSHA Assistant Secretary Joe Main and Coal Administrator Kevin Stricklin are among federal officials attending the service.
- Family members listen to prayers and scriptural readings.
- Many of the victims’ loved ones left behind are young children.
- Twenty-nine hard hats with lit cap lamps represent each of the fallen miners.
- Secretary Solis offers words of support to a family member.
- Reporters interview MSHA Assistant Secretary Joe Main following the memorial service.