Photo Gallery: Sec. Solis Addresses Rally during 100th Anniversary Of Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, New York City
(March 25, 2011)
- New Yorkers gather at Union Square before the march to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire.
- Secretary Solis with garment worker advocates from the Asian-American community.
- Secretary Solis dons a knitted armband, representing one of the 146 victims of the sweatshop fire.
- Acting Wage and Hour Administrator Nancy Leppink joins the march from Union Square to the factory site.
- Secretary Solis takes up one of the Shirtwaist blouses, representing one of the workers who died on March 25, 1911. At her left is Regional representative Robert Angelo. To her right is Acting Wage and Hour Administrator Nancy Leppink.
- Union organizer Clara Lemlich (who tried to organize the Shirtwaist workers 100 years ago) and Secretary Solis have something in common.
- Secretary Solis addresses the crowd. Actor Danny Glover looks on.
- Thousands of people participated in events marking the 100th anniversary of the fire . . . in New York City and across the nation.
- Remember the shirtwaist factory girls!
- New York firefighters prepare to honor the workers who died in the fire. Within 20 minutes 146 people jumped from the building or burned to death.
- Secretary Solis lays the first flower in memory of a victim.
- Secretary Solis prepares to talk about the Triangle fire, and workplace health and safety today, on MSNBC.