Photo Gallery: Unemployment Insurance Extension Event
(December 1, 2010)
- From left to right: Anthony Roebuck (Denver, CO), Russ Meyer (Portland, OR), and Edrie Irvine (Silver Spring, MD) shared a moment backstage before telling their stories of struggling through unemployment, and the hope and stability that UI benefits provide.
- Liz Shuler, Secretary-Treasurer of the AFL-CIO opened the event.
- Erdie Irvine of Silver Spring, Maryland, introduces the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.
- Secretary Solis stressed the fact that unemployment insurance is a powerful stabilizer for the economy. For every dollar spent on UI, two dollars are put back in the U.S. economy.
- Russ Meyer of Portland, Oregon shared how his wife and young son have used UI benefits to survive after being laid off not once, but twice over the last 2 years.
- Senator Tom Harkin expressed outrage that newspaper headlines show signs that "luxury spending" has returned, while millions of Americans remain unemployed.
- After the press conference, Secretary Solis spoke with reporters to discuss the economic benefits of unemployment insurance.