On August 28, 2018, Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta announced the new Office of Compliance Initiatives (OCI) to expand, strengthen and innovate the U.S. Department of Labor's compliance assistance outreach.
Coordinated by the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Policy, OCI will promote greater understanding of federal labor laws and regulations, allowing job creators to prevent violations and protect Americans' wages, workplace safety and health, retirement security, and other rights and benefits. As part of its work, OCI will work with the enforcement agencies to refine their metrics to ensure the efficacy of the Department's compliance assistance activities.
OCI's work will include:
- Facilitating and encouraging a culture that promotes compliance assistance within the Department
- Providing employers and workers with access to high-quality, up-to-date information about their obligations and rights under federal labor laws and regulations
- Assisting enforcement agencies in developing new strategies to use data for more impactful compliance and enforcement strategies
- Enhancing outreach to stakeholders for the Department's enforcement agencies
OCI will also focus on helping enforcement agencies more effectively use online resources to deliver information and compliance assistance to the American people. The two new websites announced today are designed to assist workers and job creators who have compliance questions.
Compliance Assistance Resources
- Worker.gov – learn about federal labor laws that protect you at work.
- Employer.gov – get answers to common questions about federal labor laws.
- elaws – employment laws assistance for workers and small businesses
- 6/21/2019 – U.S. Department of Labor to Increase Voluntary Compliance Partnership Program with International and National Labor Unions
- 6/12/2019 – U.S. Department of Labor Announces Upgraded Data System to Assist Mine Operators in Ensuring Compliance with Mine Safety and Health Regulations
- 02/06/2019 – U.S. Department of Labor Announces New Compliance Assistance Tool
- 01/25/2019 – U.S. Department of Labor Provides Compliance Assistance Resources to Secure Employee Benefits
- 10/24/2018 – U.S. Department of Labor Provides Compliance Assistance Resources To Secure Employee Benefits
- 10/17/2018 – U.S. Department of Labor Announces New Compliance Assistance Tools To Assist New and Small Businesses
- 10/10/2017 – U.S. Department of Labor Announces Disability-Related Compliance Assistance Resources for Employers and Employees
- 10/3/2018 – Compliance Assistance for Association Health Plans Now Available at Employer.gov
- 9/27/2018 – U.S. Department of Labor Provides Compliance Assistance Resources to Keep Workers Safe from Trenching-Related
- 9/20/2018 – U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs Announces New Policies to Increase
- 8/28/2018 – U.S. Department of Labor Announces New Office of Compliance Initiatives to Expand Compliance Outreach