Chief Evaluation Office
Administrative Data Research and Analysis Project: Enforcement
To analyze administrative data sets from enforcement agencies within the Department of Labor (DOL), which include:
- Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
- Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP)
- Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Office of Federal Contractor Compliance (OFCCP)
- Office of Labor Management Standards (OLMS)
- Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)
To expand upon the current data sets to create linked data files that will allow departmental and other researchers to analyze programmatic, policy, performance, and evaluation issues of interest over time.
- Federal Agency Targeting Inspection Program (FECA-FEDTARG): This is a descriptive study about the FECA-FEDTARG program, which uses OWCP data to target OSHA inspections to federal worksites with large numbers federal workers compensation cases. The study will examine how frequently different types of hazards are detected on FECA-FEDTARG inspections, and the relationship between the hazards detected in federal worksites and workers compensation claims and costs in those same worksites.
- OSHA Site Specific Targeting (SST): This study examines the impact of OSHA's Site Specific Targeting program, which targets OSHA inspections to private sector worksites with the highest rates of workplace-related illnesses and injuries. The study uses random assignment to examine the impact of (a) high-rate letters alerting worksites to the possibility of OSHA inspection and (b) OSHA inspections on health and safety outcomes.
- MSHA Early Detection: This project determines which mine operating firms are at risk of failing to pay their fines in a timely manner. Using MSHA's historical data, a predictive model will be used to identify mine operators at an early stage. This will allow for early intervention, which is likely to improve regulatory compliance and mine safety.
Project Duration: 31 months
Contract End Date: March 1, 2018
Contractor: Summit Consulting, LLC
For More Information: CHIEFEVALUATIONOFFICE@DOL.GOV