ODEP and NAGC formed an Alliance to provide NAGC members and others with information, guidance, and access to resources that will help them advance employment opportunities for workers with disabilities. In developing this Alliance, ODEP and NAGC recognize that ODEP and NAGC members are an integral part of this national effort.
The Alliance with NAGC has the following goals:
Outreach and Communication Goals
- Disseminate information through ODEP's and NAGC's websites.
- Disseminate training and education materials to advance employment opportunities for people with disabilities at conferences and events.
- Disseminate information on conferences and events that advance employment for people with disabilities.
Training and Education Goals
- Disseminate training and education materials to NAGC members, local governments, employers and community-based organizations that address disability employment issues and advance recruitment and employment of job candidates with disabilities.
- Disseminate and share with NAGC members and local partners effective disability employment practices.
Technical Assistance Goals
- Conduct activities to identify, document and disseminate effective, emerging or model disability employment strategies, policies, and practices.
- Collaborate to identify employment issues of concern to state and local partners, employers, and people with disabilities to which the Alliance should direct particular attention and resources.
National Dialogue Goals
- Raise awareness of the importance of the employment of people with disabilities.
- As appropriate, convene or participate in forums, information sharing discussions, focus groups, or stakeholder meetings on innovative employment solutions or on issues critical to state or local implementation of disability employment policies and practices.
Establishing Disability History Awareness Initiatives
This toolkit is designed to enhance public understanding of disability history in the United States. It is important that the public and future generations know about the oppression, neglect, rejection and discrimination experienced by people based on their disability. It is equally important to further the understanding of the protests and legislation that was won over the years by remarkable leaders with disabilities. The toolkit is designed to assist states in passing disability history legislation that will increase public knowledge of this important part of America's past.
Disability History Legislation
- Texas (PDF)
State Success Stories
- Delaware (PDF)
- Texas (PDF)