EEO Pledge & Complaints
Instructions for EEO Pledge and Complaint Poster
Registered Apprenticeship program sponsors are required to publish and post an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Pledge and information regarding the right of apprentices to file discrimination complaints. The U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Apprenticeship is providing a poster that sponsors may use to fulfill both requirements. The poster must be customized with the sponsor's name and other required information.
Programs registered with the federal Office of Apprenticeship are required to post the EEO pledge language and complaints notice language in a visible place in their program. Programs registered only with their State Apprenticeship Agency (SAA) should contact that agency for guidance.
Find out if your program is registered with the federal or a state government by looking at this map or by visiting the apprenticeship state contact list .
Use of this particular poster is optional . However, if a sponsor prefers not to use it, the sponsor still must comply with the requirements of 29 C.F.R. § 30.3(b)(2) (EEO Pledge dissemination) and § 30.14(b) (complaints notice). Sponsors who prefer not to use this poster can copy the specific EEO pledge language and complaints notice language into the documents they display to meet these requirements.
Enter the information as outlined in the directions provided below.
Save a copy of the completed poster to your computer.
Print out the poster and display prominently so that it is accessible to all apprentices and applicants for apprenticeship.
The instructions below explain how to customize the two sections of the poster - the EEO Pledge and the EEO Notice and Complaint Information - to your program. They also summarize the other requirements for providing this information to apprentices.
The top half of the poster expresses the Registered Apprenticeship program's commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for apprenticeship applicants and hires, using the pledge language required by the Apprenticeship EEO regulations. Under these regulations, the EEO Pledge must be posted so that it is accessible to all apprentices and applicants.
To complete this section of the poster:
Add the name of your organization in the two places where you see "Insert Sponsor Name"
Please note that the Apprenticeship EEO regulations also require sponsors to:
- Publish the EEO Pledge in their apprenticeship program standards and in appropriate publications, such as apprentice and employee handbooks, policy manuals, newsletters, or other documents disseminated by the sponsor.
- Post the EEO Pledge through electronic media, such that it is accessible to all apprentices and applicants for apprenticeship.
- Conduct orientation and periodic information sessions for individuals connected with the administration or operation of the apprenticeship program, including all apprentices and journeyworkers who regularly work with apprentices, to inform and remind such individuals of the sponsor's EEO policy regarding apprenticeship.
- Maintain records necessary to demonstrate compliance with these requirements and make them available to the agency that registered the apprenticeship program upon request.
Sponsors need to substitute the new EEO Pledge for the previous one that was contained in their apprenticeship programs' standards. They may do this by adding the EEO Pledge Update Addendum to their standards. If they adopt this Addendum, sponsors do not need to submit the revised standards to the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Apprenticeship for approval. The next time they amend the body of their standards, they should substitute the updated EEO Pledge language and remove the Addendum.
EEO Notice and Complaint Information
The bottom half of the poster notifies employees and applicants right to file a discrimination complaint and the procedures for doing so, using the language required by the Apprenticeship EEO regulations. The regulations require this notice to be displayed in a prominent, public location where all apprentices and applicants can see it.
To complete this section of the poster:
Insert information for the EEOC and State/Local Fair Employment Practices agencies.
- To find the location of your Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) District Office, visit www.eeoc.gov/field and enter your zip code. You may also do this by adding the EEO Pledge Update Addendum to your standards. By adopting this addendum, sponsors do not need to submit the revised standards to the U.S. District Office.
- To locate your State/Local Fair Employment Practices Agency, click on the "State and Local Agencies" link on the left-hand navigation bar that will display once you select an EEOC District Office. Note that some areas have local as well as state-level offices. Add relevant agencies to the poster.
Please note that the apprenticeship EEO regulations also require sponsors to provide information about the right to file complaints in the program's application for apprenticeship. To fulfill this requirement, sponsors can copy this language into their apprenticeship applications.
If you have any questions regarding the poster, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .