En Español

The government may cover 100% of your monthly health insurance premiums under the American Rescue Plan.​

You may be eligible for COBRA premium assistance if you enrolled in employer-sponsored health insurance and:​

  • You lost your job (unless voluntary or for gross misconduct)
  • Your hours were reduced​
  • You changed from full time to part time status​
  • You took a temporary leave of absence​
  • You participated in a lawful labor strike​
  • And you elect COBRA continuation coverage.


If this sounds like you or a family member, here’s how you can get premium assistance:

Check your mail

1. Check your mail for a letter from your employer about electing COBRA continuation coverage.

Fill out the forms included in the letter

2. Fill out the forms included in the letter to elect enrollment (if you haven’t already done so) and indicate that you are eligible for assistance.

Return the forms to your employer

3. Return the forms to your employer as instructed in the letter.

Once processed, the premium will be reimbursed directly to your employer and you will continue to have access to your health insurance at no cost to you through Sept. 30, 2021. It’s that simple.

If you haven’t received a notice from your employer, submit this request form to your employer to see if you are eligible for the premium assistance. Then you can contact your plan or issuer directly to ask about taking advantage of the premium assistance.


Frequently Asked Questions

Find more information on premium assistance under the American Rescue Plan in our full FAQ document.

If you need more help, please visit our Ask EBSA page or call 1.866.444.3272.


Premium Assistance

Other FAQs