Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Service Contract Act Directory of Occupations
01013 ACCOUNTING CLERK III
Uses a knowledge of double entry bookkeeping in performing one or more of the following:
- Posts actions to journals,
- identifying subsidiary accounts affected and debit and credit entries to be made and assigning proper codes;
- reviews computer printouts against manually maintained journals, detecting and correcting erroneous postings,
- and preparing documents to adjust accounting classifications and other data; or reviews lists of transactions rejected by an automated system, determining reasons for rejections, and preparing necessary correcting material.
- On routine assignments, employee selects and applies established procedures and techniques.
Detailed instructions are provided for difficult or unusual assignments. Completed work and methods used are reviewed for technical accuracy.