Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Help Tips on Handling PDF Files
Some of the files/publications on DOL/WHD web site are only available electronically in PDF format. Here are some tips on how to view, print and save the PDF files. In order to view and/or print PDF documents you must have Acrobat Reader (ver. 5.0 and/or up) installed on your computer. To obtain to the free Acrobat Reader go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/.
To view the file
- With a browser: Click on the link to the PDF file, the PDF file automatically appears through the Acrobat Reader within the browser window.
- On its own: Save the file to the hard drive, double clicking on the file opens it within the reader.
To print the file
Click on the Printer icon within Acrobat Reader instead of using the browser's print feature.
To save/download the file
There are three ways to save the PDF file to the location you choose on the hard drive:
- Open the PDF file in your browser window, save it with the browser's File -- Save or Save as -- command.
- Open the PDF file in the Acrobat Reader, save it using the Save icon on the Reader's menu bar.
- Or without first looking at it in the browser, Right click on the link, click "Save this Link as." or "Save Target as." on the pop-up manual.
To create a CD for the PDF file:
- Save the PDF file to the hard drive first using the save/download instructions above
- Insert a blank, writable CD into the CD recorder
- Copy the saved file to the CD recording drive
- In My Computer, double-click the CD recording drive. Windows displays a temporary area where the files are held before they are copied to a CD.
- Right-click and select Paste.
- Verify that the files and folders that you intend to copy to the CD appear under "Files Ready to be Written to the CD". Under CD Writing Tasks, click "Write these files to CD". Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard. Follow the instructions in the wizard.