Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
Compliance Assistance - Wages and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
The FLSA establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and youth employment standards affecting employees in the private sector and in Federal, State, and local governments. Covered nonexempt workers are entitled to a minimum wage of not less than $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Overtime pay at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate of pay is required after 40 hours of work in a workweek.
- FLSA Minimum Wage: The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage.
- FLSA Overtime: Covered nonexempt employees must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 per workweek (any fixed and regularly recurring period of 168 hours seven consecutive 24-hour periods) at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate of pay. There is no limit on the number of hours employees 16 years or older may work in any workweek. The FLSA does not require overtime pay for work on weekends, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime is worked on such days.
- Hours Worked (PDF): Hours worked ordinarily include all the time during which an employee is required to be on the employer’s premises, on duty, or at a prescribed workplace.
- Recordkeeping (PDF): Employers must display an official poster outlining the requirements of the FLSA. Employers must also keep employee time and pay records.
- Child Labor: These provisions are designed to protect the educational opportunities of minors and prohibit their employment in jobs and under conditions detrimental to their health or well-being.
- Handy Reference Guide to the FLSA
- Fact Sheets
- Employment Law Guide: Minimum Wage and Overtime Pay
- Questions and Answers about the FLSA
- Information on Furloughs and Other Reductions in Pay
- Break Time for Nursing Mothers
- 'How to File a Complaint' Card (PDF)
- FLSA Minimum Wage Poster
- Spanish Version
- Chinese Version (PDF)
- Russian Version (PDF)
- Thai Version (PDF)
- Hmong Version (PDF)
- Vietnamese Version (PDF)
- Korean Version (PDF)
- Polish Version (PDF)
- Haitian Creole Version (PDF)
- Additional FLSA Posters
- The Coverage and Employment Status Advisor helps identify which workers are employees covered by the FLSA.
- The Hours Worked Advisor provides information to help determine which hours spent in work-related activities are considered FLSA “hours worked” and therefore must be paid.
- The Overtime Security Advisor helps determine which employees are exempt from the FLSA minimum wage and overtime pay requirements under the Part 541 overtime regulations.
- The Overtime Calculator Advisor computes the amount of overtime pay due in a sample pay period based on information from the user.
- The Child Labor Rules Advisor answers questions about the FLSA’s youth employment provisions, including at what age young people can work and the jobs they can perform.
- The Section 14(c) Advisor helps users understand the special minimum wage requirements for workers with disabilities.
- Paid vs. Unpaid Internships WIA Youth Flash Training
- Youth Employment Rules WIA Youth Flash Training
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation - Spanish Version (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation - Chinese Version (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation - Vietnamese Version (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation - Russian Version (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation - Thai Version (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation - Korean Version (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Comprehensive FLSA Presentation - Tagalog Version (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Executive, Administrative, and Professional Exemption Presentation (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- FLSA Clean-Up Tipped Employees Presentation (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
- Employment Relationship under the FLSA (Microsoft® PowerPoint®)
Applicable Laws and Regulations