Skip to page content
Wage and Hour Division - We Can Help
Bookmark and Share

How to File a Complaint

We Can Help! - [PDF] [en español]

The U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division (WHD) is responsible for administering and enforcing some of the nation's most important worker protection laws. WHD is committed to ensuring that workers in this country are paid properly and for all the hours they work, regardless of immigration status.

If you have questions or concerns, you can contact us at 1-866-487-9243 or visit You will be directed to the nearest WHD office for assistance. There are over 200 WHD offices throughout the country with trained professionals to help you. The information below is useful to file a complaint with WHD:

  • Your name
  • Your address and phone number (how you can be contacted)
  • The name of the company where you work(ed)
  • Location of the company (this maybe different from where you worked)
  • Phone number of the company
  • Manager or owners name (who should we ask to speak to?)
  • Type of work you did
  • How and when you were paid (i.e. cash or check, every Friday)

Any additional information that you can provide such as copies of pay stubs, personal records of hours worked, or other information on your employers pay practices are helpful.

All services are free and confidential, whether you are documented or not. Please remember that your employer cannot terminate you or in any other manner discriminate against you for filing a complaint with WHD.

If you are a nursing mother and would like to file a complaint concerning your break rights under the FLSA, Wage and Hour Division staff would benefit from additional information, such as the date of birth of your nursing child and a description of your concern (e.g., lack of reasonable time or adequate space for expressing milk while at work). Please refer to the Wage and Hour Division's Nursing Mothers Webpage to obtain additional information on this topic.

Should WHD not be able to assist you, every effort will be made to refer you to the appropriate agency or organization.