Division of Federal Employees' Compensation (DFEC)
General FECA Guidance and Training for Agencies
- Injury Compensation for Federal Employees (Publication CA-810) - A handbook for Federal agency personnel outlining FECA benefits and processes.
- Agency Query System (AQS) - AQS is a secure Internet site that provides access to information on FECA injury claims. The information available includes current claims status, compensation payment history and medical bill payment history.
- NOTE: The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) control number displayed on Forms CA-7, CA-16, CA-17, CA-20, OWCP-5a, OWCP-5b, and OWCP-5c, have an expiration date of October 31, 2014; however, in accordance with the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act (44 U.S.C. 3501), the Department has submitted a request to the OMB to extend this expiration date for another three years. Therefore, pursuant to 5 C.F.R. § 1320.10 (e)(2), the Department is authorized to continue collecting this information after the displayed expiration date so long as it remains under review at the OMB. Once the OMB takes action on the aforementioned extension request, the new expiration date will be displayed on the data collection instrument.
- Central Mail - If you choose to write to our office, send all correspondence to: OFFICE OF WORKERS' COMP PROGRAMS, PO BOX 8300, LONDON, KY 40742-8300. It is recommended that you keep a copy of all documents sent to OWCP. Please write or type clearly on 8 1/2 by 11" paper, and write your case number at the top of each page of correspondence.
- ECOMP/WEEDS Document upload - Stakeholders and interested parties can use ECOMP to upload documents to active FECA cases. You can upload letters, medical reports and other supporting documentation. You will need the official FECA Case Number and other identifying information to use this feature.
Instructions on Submitting Documents via ECOMP
Claim Submission Guidance for Agencies
- Agency Reference Tables - A listing of the Department of Labor Reference Tables. These are common codes used in injury reporting. Included are Occupation Codes, Location of Injury Codes, Nature of Injury Codes, Cause of Injury Codes, and Agency Code Query.
- Electronic Filing:
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) - Agencies that have established EDI systems may use this functionality to electronically submit certain claim forms to OWCP electronically
- The Employees’ Compensation and Management Portal (ECOMP). ECOMP is a web-based application managed by OWCP which is available free of charge, and may be accessed at the following address: https://www.ecomp.dol.gov. Agencies that have enrolled with OWCP may use ECOMP to electronically file certain claim forms and supporting documentation.
- Central Case Create - Information regarding submission of claim forms to the DFEC central case create facility.
- Regulations on timely submission of claims (20 C.F.R. §10.110 - §10.113)
Agency Chargeback and Data Reports
- OWCP provides periodic chargeback and data reports to agencies for monitoring and management of agency cases. The attached Data Dictionaries are for usage by those agency representatives that receive weekly, monthly and/or quarterly data extracts from OWCP and require this information to read the data fields:
Web Page (HTML)
ACPS Data Dictionary V2.0
Bill Pay Data Dictionary v1
Chargeback Data Dictionary 2
CMF Data Dictionary (New with Appendices)
- Privacy Act Systems - DOL/GOVT-1 - This information relates to FECA case files under the control of any agency. It provides categories of records in the system and the routine uses of records maintained in the system, including categories of users and the purposes of such use.
- Presentation on the Privacy Act and System of Records View | Download
POWER and Return to Work
For information on the Protecting Our Workers and Ensuring Reemployment (POWER) Initiative and to view agency performance in meeting targets, please visit the POWER page. The following resources provide additional guidance to agencies on returning injured employees to work:
- Best and Promising Practices in FECA Return to Work - A presentation outlining the findings of a study that identified strategies that Federal agencies may utilize to increase the successful return-to-work of employees who have sustained disabilities as a result of workplace injuries.
- POWER and Executive Order 13548 on Disability Hiring - Used in training stakeholders on how the hiring and retention of injured Federal employees can help agencies achieve their EO 13548 and POWER goals.
- Quarterly CA-1/CA-2, CA-7 Timeliness Reports by Chargeback Code
- Interagency Meeting, November 4, 2014 View | Download
- Privacy Act and FECA, November 4, 2014 View | Download
- Interagency and POWER Council Meeting, June 17, 2014 View | Download
- Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program, June 17, 2014 View | Download
Click here to visit an archive of previous Interagency Meeting presentations