ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on July 26, 1990 was a landmark event in our nation's history. Like other pieces of civil rights legislation, this law works to ensure a more inclusive America, one where every person has the right to participate in all sectors of society and be recognized for his or her accomplishments. Its passage paved the way for millions of Americans with disabilities to positively contribute to their communities in a variety of ways, including employment. Two decades on, however, much work still remains to be done.
Enforcement for the ADA is shared among several Federal agencies, with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) responsible for its employment provisions. ODEP does not have enforcement responsibilities under the ADA. However, the law underpins all of ODEP's work. Through policy development and education and guidance, ODEP assists employers and individuals in understanding their protections and obligations under it.
For example, ODEP's Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is the leading source of free, expert and confidential guidance on reasonable workplace accommodations a critical component of the ADA as it relates to employment. JAN offers a wealth of ADA information through its online ADA Library. Employers can also find resources related to hiring and retaining people with disabilities by accessing the Employer Assistance and Resource Network (EARN), a free service of ODEP's National Employer Technical Assistance Center.
Furthermore, each year ODEP conducts a variety of activities to celebrate the anniversary of the ADA.
- 2015 ADA Anniversary Presidential Proclamation
- Statement of the US Labor Secretary on the 25th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- "Advancing Equal Access to Opportunity" Disability and Employment Timeline
- 2014 ADA Anniversary Presidential Proclamation
- 2014 ADA Blog Disability Rights are Civil Rights
- 2013 ADA Anniversary Presidential Proclamation
- 2013 ADA Blog Diverse Perspectives: A Competitive Advantage
- 2012 ADA Anniversary Presidential Proclamation
- 2012 ADA Blog A More Inclusive America: We Can't Wait
- 2011 ADA Anniversary Presidential Proclamation
- 2011 ADA Address by the Assistant Secretary of Labor for Disability Employment Policy
- 2011 ADA Blog ADA Opens Door to Inclusive Society
- ADA's 20th Anniversary Celebration
The following resources offer more information about the ADA and its connection to ODEP's policy and programmatic priorities:
- ADA Home Page Information and technical assistance on the ADA, with links to the various agencies with enforcement responsibilities under it.
- EEOC Agency responsible for administering the ADA's employment provisions.
- ADA National Network Network of 10 regional centers that offer businesses, government agencies and individuals information, guidance and training on the ADA, including its employment provisions.