ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
To develop and influence disability employment-related policies and practices, ODEP sponsors four research and technical assistance resources. One of these is the National Center on Leadership for the Employment and Economic Advancement of People with Disabilities (LEAD Center). The LEAD Center is a collaborative of disability, workforce and economic empowerment organizations led by National Disability Institute. The LEAD Center is dedicated to advancing sustainable individual and systems-level change to improve competitive, integrated employment and economic self-sufficiency for adults across the spectrum of disabilities.
The LEAD Center's work focuses on three core leadership areas: policy, employment and economic advancement. Recent LEAD Center activities in the Economic Advancement area of focus include:
- Kathy Martinez, Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Department of Labor for Disability Employment Policy, joined the LEAD Center at the Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund conference. Learn about the meeting and more in the latest edition of the LEAD Center e-newsletter.
- LEAD Center Webinar Series: Launched in January, the LEAD Center webinar series is produced in three mini-series this year Economic Advancement (February April), Employment (May July) and Leadership (August October). All webinars are live captioned and archived with a transcript on the LEAD Center website and the LEAD Center YouTube Channel. Webinars include:
LEAD Center Webinar Series
Upcoming LEAD Center Webinars:
- Using Work Incentives to Build Financial Stability, April 24, 2013, 3-4:30 p.m. Discover opportunities for individuals with disabilities to increase income through the use of Social Security (SSDI and SSI) work incentives that support savings above the $2,000 SSI asset limit. Register here.
Previous LEAD Center Webinars:
- Promoting Economic Advancement Financial Education, March 27, 2013. Explore why financial education is important and how it can benefit customers served at American Job Centers. Learn about curriculum options and resources as well as strategies for local implementation.
- Promoting Economic Advancement Implementing Free Tax Prep Services, Feb. 27, 2013. Learn about three free tax preparation models for American Job Center professionals to implement to further advance economic stability for their customers. Presenters included the IRS as well as local AJCs implementing free tax prep at their local centers.
- Exploring the New LEAD Center, Jan. 30, 2013. Discover the LEAD Center's policy, employment and economic advancement initiatives designed to promote employment and financial stability outcomes for people with disabilities.