ODEP - Office of Disability Employment Policy
Disability Employment Policy Resources by Topic
Society for Human Resource Management
ODEP and SHRM will collaborate to ensure that the employment of people with disabilities is supported through training and education, outreach and communication, technical assistance and promoting a national dialogue. ODEP and SHRM will work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
Training and Education
- Disseminate training and education materials to SHRM members that address issues of member concern and advance recruitment and employment of job candidates with disabilities.
- Disseminate and share with SHRM members effective disability employment practices.
Outreach and Communication
Henry G. Jackson, President and CEO of SHRM and Assistant Secretary Kathleen Martinez signing the Alliance Agreement
Outreach and Communication to News/Press
- Disseminate information through print and electronic media, including links from and between Web sites.
- To the extent that SHRM's and ODEP's practices, policies, objectives and conventions allow, disseminate information at conferences and events.
- To the extent that SHRM's and ODEP's practices, policies, and objectives allow, collaborate on developing and conducting training and education sessions for various conferences.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at conferences, meetings or other events to proactively address employment of workers with disabilities.
Outreach and Internal Communication to SHRM Members
- To the extent that SHRM's and ODEP's practices, policies, objectives allow, organize meetings and Webinars that address and promote strategies for recruitment, hiring, promotion, and retention of people with disabilities.
- SHRM will continue to update and disseminate pertinent disability employment information via toolkits, SHRM's Information Center, research reports and articles, white papers, HR Talk forums, online chats, and publications as appropriate.
- Conduct activities to identify, document and disseminate effective employer policies and practices.
- Identify activities that demonstrate, evaluate or replicate model disability employment strategies for SHRM state, regional, and local chapters.
- Collaborate to identify disability employment issues of concern to employers to which the Alliance might direct particular attention and resources (e.g., the Job Accommodation Network (JAN), the Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN), etc.). As appropriate, this could include research, conducted independently by SHRM, which furthers the goals set forth in this agreement.
- ODEP will supply SHRM and the public, in general, with statistics on the employment of people with disabilities, and SHRM will disseminate the information as appropriate to SHRM members.
- SHRM will explore the possibility of conducting research on issues relevant to the employment of people with disabilities.
- Identify information on effective practices and approaches for relevant industry sectors. Determine the most effective delivery methods; e.g., through individual or joint outreach or through training programs and materials. However, this agreement itself does not authorize or provide funds for specific training.
Conferences and Speaking Opportunities
- Convene and participate in forums, information sharing discussions, focus groups, or stakeholder meetings on opportunities to help forge innovative employment solutions or to provide input on such issues. However, this agreement itself does not authorize or provide funds for specific conferences.
- Co-Sponsor special events, subject to the establishment of a specific cosponsorship agreement establishing the terms.
Print and Media Outreach
- Encourage the implementation of effective disability employment practices and approaches through print or electronic media.
- Renewal agreement signed January 2012 (PDF)
- Manufacturing Sector Summit Report June 24, 2012 (PDF)
- Agreement signed October 2006 (PDF)
- Alliance Year I Annual Report (PDF)
- Universal Design An article which helps human resource professionals understand how universal design and universal strategies assist a company to attract and keep a diverse workforce and customer base.
- Customized Employment: A New Competitive Edge An article which helps human resource professionals understand the value of Customized Employment