The WorkPlace, Inc., Southwestern Connecticut’s Regional Workforce Development Board, leads a consortium of Connecticut and national organizations to engage in changing the culture of the workforce development and vocational rehabilitation systems to better accommodate and serve individuals with disabilities, including LGBT individuals with disabilities. Additionally, the consortium will work build the capacity of small business to employ these individuals. The consortium is accomplishing this by building awareness on the unique forms of discrimination and providing sensitivity training for all workforce development staff. In addition to developing models, designing strategies, and influencing policies to improve employment opportunities for people with disabilities, the program will form and strengthen connections among small businesses, LGBT-owned businesses, disability-serving organizations, the local workforce investment board, and youth-serving organizations by building a network of disability and diversity experts.
The consortium includes members of the public workforce development system, state vocational rehabilitation agencies, youth-serving organizations, and organizations that serve people with disabilities. An LGBT Advisory Committee was created to determine the best messaging and outreach strategies to engage LGBT-owned businesses. In addition, the consortium hosts employer events with local business councils.
- Career Resources, Inc.
- Disability Resource Center of Fairfield County
- Bridgeport Area Youth Ministry, Inc.
- State of Connecticut Bureau of Rehabilitation Services
- State of Connecticut Board of Education and Services for the Blind
- Connecticut Commission on Human Rights & Opportunities
- Greater New England Minority Supplier Development Council (GNEMSDC)
- Connecticut AIDS Resource Coalition
- The Women's Business Development Center (WBDC).
Project Director, Add Us In
The WorkPlace, Inc.