97.12 - Special grant or subgrant conditions for ``high-risk'' grantees.
- Standard Number: 97.12
- Standard Title: Special grant or subgrant conditions for ``high-risk'' grantees.
- SubPart Number: B
- SubPart Title: Pre-Award Requirements
(a) A grantee or subgrantee may be considered ``high risk'' if an awarding agency determines that a grantee or subgrantee:
(1) Has a history of unsatisfactory performance, or
(2) Is not financially stable, or
(3) Has a management system which does not meet the management standards set forth in this part, or
(4) Has not conformed to terms and conditions of previous awards, or
(5) Is otherwise not responsible; and if the awarding agency determines that an award will be made, special conditions and/or restrictions shall correspond to the high risk condition and shall be included in the award.
(b) Special conditions or restrictions may include:
(1) Payment on a reimbursement basis;
(2) Withholding authority to proceed to the next phase until receipt of evidence of acceptable performance within a given funding period;
(3) Requiring additional, more detailed financial reports;
(4) Additional project monitoring;
(5) Requiring the grantee or subgrantee to obtain technical or management assistance; or
(6) Establishing additional prior approvals.
(c) If an awarding agency decides to impose such conditions, the awarding official will notify the grantee or subgrantee as early as possible, in writing, of:
(1) The nature of the special conditions/restrictions;
(2) The reason(s) for imposing them;
(3) The corrective actions which must be taken before they will be removed and the time allowed for completing the corrective actions and
(4) The method of requesting reconsideration of the conditions/restrictions imposed.