Skip to page content
Civil Rights Center
Bookmark and Share

Other Resources

Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs and Unemployment Insurance

In most cases, CRC cannot review or overturn decisions made by the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) or Unemployment Insurance (UI) offices. We only have authority to investigate cases that allege discrimination experienced during the process of applying for these benefits—for example, if a deaf individual was not provided with an interpreter for an appeals hearing. In other words, although we can look at issues of access, we cannot review how specific OWCP or UI laws were applied, such as those relating to decisions about eligibility or monetary determinations. OWCP and UI have their own processes for appealing decisions, which are generally included in determination notices.

State and Local Resources

It is also important to realize that many states have labor laws that provide for stronger protections than federal law does. You may want to consider doing a bit of research to find out which specific agency in your state deals with discrimination and employment issues – these agencies are usually called human or civil rights commissions, or fair employment agencies. More information can be found at

Discrimination against Lesbian, Gay, or Bisexual Individuals

The CRC and other federal agencies MAY be able to investigate complaints that allege discrimination based on sexual orientation depending on the type or nature of discrimination alleged. (The CRC and other federal agencies CAN investigate complaints that allege discrimination based on gender identity.) In those instances where CRC or other federal agencies cannot investigate complaints that allege discrimination based on sexual orientation, the following resource may assist in determining whether states provide stronger protections that federal law:

For More Assistance

If you cannot determine the appropriate office to contact, you may contact the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, and they will refer your matter to the appropriate civil rights enforcement agency. For more information, contact:

    U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
    Office of Civil Rights Evaluation
    Attn: Complaints Referral
    624 Ninth Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20425
    (202) 376-8513
    (800) 552-6843
    TTY: (202) 375-8116
    Fax: (202) 376-7754


    Federal Coordination and Compliance Section - NWB
    Civil Rights Division
    U.S. Department of Justice
    950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20530
    Our phone numbers, if you need assistance, are:
    (888) 848-5306 - English and Spanish (ingles y español)
    (202) 307-2222 (voice)
    (202) 307-2678 (TDD)

Additional Resources

For another resource document similar to this one created by the Department of Health and Human Services, please see:

For agency specific civil rights information, additional resources may be found at:

For more information on how federal agencies address civil rights issues, additional resources may be found at: