Skip to page content
Civil Rights Center
Bookmark and Share

Filing with Other Federal Agencies

Each Federal agency that provides Federal financial assistance is responsible for investigating complaints of discrimination. If you believe that you or others have been discriminated against, you may file a complaint with the Federal agency that provides support for the program where you believe the discrimination is occurring/has occurred. There are instances where both CRC and another federal agency may both have the authority to enforce nondiscrimination laws CRC may refer a complaint to another federal agency to investigate depending upon the basis of discrimination alleged in the complaint.

The following information provides options and resources to help you determine which agency may be able to assist you.

The Office for Civil Rights at the Department of Education enforces several Federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance from the Department of Education. Areas covered include: admissions, recruitment, financial aid, academic programs, student treatment and services, counseling and guidance, discipline, classroom assignment, grading, education, athletics, housing, and employment.If you think you or someone you know has been discriminated against by a vocational or public school, college, university, or private school that received financial assistance, contact:

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights helps to protect you from discrimination in certain health care and social service programs. Some of these programs may include hospitals, health clinics, nursing homes, Medicaid and Medicare agencies, welfare programs, day care centers, doctors offices and pharmacies, children's health programs, alcohol and drug treatment centers, adoption agencies, and mental health and development disabilities agencies. If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex or religion by a health care or human services provider or by a State or local government health or human services agency, contact:

    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
    Office of Civil Rights
    200 Independence Avenue, SW, Rm. 509F HHS Blg.
    Washington, DC  20201
    Telephone 1-800-368-1019/TTY (800) 537-7697

The U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division works to uphold the civil and constitutional rights of all Americans, particularly some of the most vulnerable members of our society. The Division enforces federal statutes prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, disability, religion, familial status and national origin. The Division’s work is carried out in eleven sections which include:

  • Employment Litigation Section - Enforces against state and local government employers and private employers the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994, which prohibits employers from discriminating or retaliating against an employee or applicant for employment because of such person's past, current or future military obligation.
  • Housing and Civil Enforcement Section - Works to protect some of the most fundamental rights of individuals, including the right to access housing free from discrimination, the right to access credit on an equal basis, the right to patronize places of business that provide public accommodations and the right to practice one’s faith free from discrimination.
  • Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices - enforces the anti-discrimination provision (§ 274B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), 8 U.S.C. § 1324b. This federal law prohibits: 1) citizenship status discrimination in hiring, firing, or recruitment or referral for a fee, 2) national origin discrimination in hiring, firing, or recruitment or referral for a fee, 3) document abuse, and 4) retaliation or intimidation.
  • Special Litigation Section - works to protect civil rights in the following areas: 1) the rights of people in state or local institutions, including: jails, prisons, juvenile detention facilities, and health care facilities for persons with disabilities; 2) the rights of individuals with disabilities to receive services in their communities, rather than in institutions; 3) the rights of people who interact with state or local police or sheriffs' departments; and 4) the rights of youth involved in the juvenile justice system.

For more information, contact:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of Adjudication and Compliance handles complaints alleging discrimination in agricultural and rural programs. Some complaints that should be filed with the Department of Agriculture include discrimination in Extension Programs, the Food Stamp Program, Rural Rental Housing Programs, and in Rural Utility Programs, such as in providing telephone, electric or waste water facilities.

Housing programs are also covered by laws or regulations that prohibit discrimination based on marital/family status and religion. If you believe you have been discriminated against by one of the above programs or by any other program that receives assistance from the Department of Agriculture, contact:

    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of Adjudication and Compliance
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20250-9410(202) 260-1026
    Telephone (866) 632-9992/TDD (202) 401-0216
    Fax (202) 690-5686

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity is responsible for enforcing the fair housing laws and the Americans with Disabilities Act. FHEO seeks conciliation, holds hearings, conducts studies, provides testimony for litigation, and offers public education programs and training and technical assistance. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your civil rights have been violated, contact:

CRC cannot investigate employment discrimination complaints filed against most private employers. CRC will refer these complaints to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).  EEOC is a separate Federal agency that has authority to enforce the civil rights laws covering most private employers. CRC also cannot investigate complaints filed against most federal contractors. CRC will refer these complaints to the DOL’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP).

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

For employment discrimination with employers that do not receive Federal financial assistance, the EEOC is responsible for enforcing Federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of their race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to discriminate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit. Discrimination by employers with 15 or more employees is prohibited in all aspects of the hiring and employment process including job application, hiring, firing, promoting, training, wage earning, or any other terms of employment. If you believe that you have been discriminated against by your employer, contact:

    U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
    131 M Street, NE
    Washington, DC 20507
    Telephone 1-800-669-4000/TTY 1-800-669-6820

For an overview of the federal sector EEO process (for non-DOL Federal employees), additional resources may be found at:

For non-DOL Federal employees, for a listing of the EEO Directors at various Federal agencies or guidance in locating the correct EEO official to assist you, additional resources may be found at:

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs enforces, for the benefit of job seekers and wage earners, the contractual promise of affirmative action and equal employment opportunity required of those who do business with the Federal government. If you think an employer who has discriminated against you holds a contract or subcontract with a Federal agency, contact:

    U.S. Department of Labor
    Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
    200 Constitution Ave., NW, Rm C3310
    Washington, DC  20210
    Telephone 1-800-397-6251