MINISTERIAL CONSULTATIONS -- SUBMISSION 940003
AGREEMENTS ON IMPLEMENTATION
The Secretary of Labor of the United States, and the Secretary of Labor and Social Welfare of Mexico, in accord with the provisions of the NAALC, have agreed to carry out consultations regarding labor law dealing with union registration, a subject matter to which both governments lend the greatest importance, and have reached the following agreement:
- The Secretaries of Labor of the United States and Mexico and the Minister of Labour of Canada will instruct their respective National Administrative Offices (NAOs) to carry out a joint work program to better explain and improve implementation and public understanding of procedures regarding union registration and certification at the federal and state levels in both countries.
- The NAOs shall develop a work program within 90 days. The work program could consist of workshops, seminars, meetings, and studies.
- Implementation of the work program shall be completed within one year.
The Mexican Secretary of Labor and Social Welfare will direct the Mexican NAO to bring together a group of independent experts to conduct a study of labor law dealing with union registration and its implementation. The NAO will invite the local authorities to participate in the study.
- The study shall be completed within 180 days.
As directed by the Secretary of Labor and Social Welfare, officials of that Department shall:
a) meet with workers at Magneticos de Mexico, S.A. de C.V., mentioned in the NAO public report on submission 940003 to inform them of remedies available to them under Mexican law regarding union registration;
The outcome of each of the agreed actions will be promptly made available to the public. The two parties shall decide on the form and timing of the public announcements.
b) meet with local labor authorities to discuss matters regarding union registration raised by the public report on submission 940003 prepared by the U.S. NAO;
c) meet with representatives of Magneticos de Mexico, S.A. de C.V., to discuss the public report of submission 940003.
- The meetings shall be held within 120 days.
All completion dates are effective from the date of agreement.