Some of the terms and phrases used in this Advisor have particular meanings
that are specific to the Regulations, Part 541. These terms are defined here to
help you better understand how the regulations apply to specific employment situations.
As you run this Advisor you will have the opportunity to return to the glossary to review
the definitions when the terms are used.
For purposes of the executive exemption criteria, "management" generally includes,
but is not limited to, activities such as:
- interviewing, selecting, and training of employees;
- setting and adjusting their rates of pay and hours of work;
- directing the work of employees;
- maintaining production or sales records for use in supervision or control;
- appraising employees' productivity and efficiency for the
purpose of recommending promotions or other changes in status;
- handling employee complaints and grievances;
- disciplining employees;
- planning the work;
- determining the techniques to be used;
- apportioning the work among the employees;
- determining the type of materials, supplies, machinery, equipment or tools to be used or
merchandise to be bought, stocked or sold;
- controlling the flow and distribution of materials or merchandise and supplies;
- providing for the safety and security of the employees or the property;
- planning and controlling the budget; and
- monitoring or implementing legal compliance measures.