Skip to page content
Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez
Bookmark and Share

Women's History Month - Secretary Solis's Chat with Bartiromo - Chat

>> GOOD AFTERNOON.

I WANT TO THE THANK YOU FOR

BEING HERE.

MY NAME IS SARAH DIAZ.

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW ME, I

AM THE NEWLY CONFIRMED DIRECTOR

OF THE WOMEN'S -- ON BEHALF OF

THE OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS,

OUR INCREDIBLE SENIOR ADVISOR,

AND THE WOMEN'S BUREAU, I WOULD

LIKE TO WELCOME YOU TO OUR

CELEBRATION OF WOMEN'S HISTORY

MONTH.

TODAY WE HONOR WOMEN WHO HAVE

TAKEN RISKS, PAVED THE WAY, AND

BROKEN GROUND.

WOMEN WHO HAVE COME BEFORE US TO

HELP SHAPE OUR CULTURE AND OUR

COMMUNITY, OPEN THE PAST AND IN

THE PRESENT.

WE HAVE FORTUNATE TO BE IN THE

MIDST OF HISTORY-MAKING LEADERS

THROUGHOUT THE GOVERNMENT,

INCLUDING OUR TRAILBLAZING

SECRETARY OF LABOR, HILDA SOLIS.

[APPLAUSE]

SHE IS A TRAILBLAZER BECAUSE SHE

IS THE FIRST LATINA TO SERVE IN

A PRESIDENTIAL CABINET.

THROUGHOUT HER CAREER, OUR

SECRETARY HAS WORKED TIRELESSLY

TOWARDS A VISION OF EQUALITY AND

OPPORTUNITY FOR WOMEN AND

FAMILIES.

OUR SECRETARY'S VISION IS GOOD

JOB FOR EVERYONE, AND IN

PARTICULAR, GOOD JOBS FOR WOMEN.

I AM PROUD AND I AM HONORED TO

HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK

WITH SECRETARY SOLIS, ESPECIALLY

AT THIS TIME.

MORE FAMILIES ARE DEPENDING ON

WORKING WOMEN'S WAGES.

WOMEN NOW MAKE UP NEARLY HALF OF

THE WORKFORCE AND GROWING.

AS A DIRECTOR OF THE WOMEN'S

BUREAU, I WANT TO EMPOWER ALL

WORKING WOMEN TO ACHIEVE

ECONOMIC SECURITY.

AS THE ONLY FEDERAL AGENCY

SPECIFICALLY TAXED TO IMPROVING

THE LIVES OF WORKING WOMEN, THE

WOMEN'S BUREAU WILL BE

CELEBRATING ITS 90th

ANNIVERSARY THIS YEAR.

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE WOMEN'S

BUREAU WAS CREATED BY CONGRESS

THE SAME YEAR THAT THE WOMEN GOT

THE RIGHT TO VOTE?

1920?

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW, THAT

LITTLE TRIVIA THAT I'D LIKE TO

SHARE WITH YOU.

WE HAVE A LONG AND PROUD HISTORY

AND WE'LL CONTINUE TO ADVANCE

ISSUES TO IMPROVE THE LIVES OF

WORKING WOMEN, NOT ONLY THROUGH

THE WOMEN'S BUREAU, BUT

THROUGHOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF

LABOR.

AS PRESIDENT OBAMA SAID, IN HIS

WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH

PROCLAMATION, "AS WE HONOR WOMEN

WHO SHAPED OUR NATION, WE MUST

REMEMBER THAT WE ARE TASKED WITH

WRITING THE NEXT CHAPTER OF

WOMEN'S HISTORY."

IN THIS RESPONSIBILITY, WE ALL

SHARE IN WRITING THE NEXT

CHAPTER IN OUR NATION'S HISTORY

AS WE LEAD IN OUR EVERY DAY

LIVES, IN OUR WORKPLACE, IN OUR

COMMUNITIES, INSPIRING THE NEXT

GENERATION OF WOMEN AND GIRLS,

WHICH IS WHY WE ARE HERE TODAY.

IT IS MY PLEASURE AND DELIGHT,

TO INTRODUCE A ONE-ON-ONE

CONVERSATION WITH MARIA

BARTIROMO, A DISTINGUISHED

LEADER AND OUR WONDERFUL

SECRETARY, HILDA SOLIS.

[APPLAUSE]

[APPLAUSE]

>> WELCOME EVERYONE.

AND GOOD AFTERNOON.

AND HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY.

IT'S GOOD TO SEE ALL OF YOU HERE

AND I'M VERY DELIGHTED TO BE

ABLE TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION

WITH ONE OF THE PREMIER

JOURNALISTS IN THE COUNTRY, A

YOUNG WOMAN WHO HAS BEEN A

TRAILBLAZER FOR SO MANY OF US.

I WATCHED HER FOR MANY YEARS AND

THIS IS A GREAT, GREAT TRIBUTE

TO YOU AND ALL YOUR WORK AND THE

FAMILY AND YOUR COMMUNITIES YOU

REPRESENT.

AND ESPECIALLY BECAUSE YOU

JOINED US TO CELEBRATE ONE OF

OUR FIRST MAJOR EVENTS HERE,

SPONSORED BY PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND

THE WOMEN'S BUREAU.

SO WE ARE DELIGHTED.

PLEASE GIVE HER A HAND.

MARIA!

[APPLAUSE]

YOU KNOW JUST THIS LAST WEEKEND,

I WAS WATCHING THE NEWS AND WAS

WATCHING YOU ON, GIVE YOUR

REPORT ON WALL STREET, AND IT'S

JUST SO AMAZING FOR ME TO SEE

ANOTHER YOUNG WOMAN BE ABLE TO

TACKLE, NOT ONLY THE ISSUES BUT

THE BIG CEO FOLKS.

THE FOLKS WE ARE ALL UPSET

ABOUT.

AND HAVE BEEN JUST KIND OF

ACTING LIKE PUPPIES IN FRONT OF

YOU.

SO I'M AMAZED.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOUR SECRET

IS.

YOU DO SO MUCH BECAUSE YOU WERE

ONE OF THE FIRST PEOPLE EVER TO

ACTUALLY TELEVISE YOUR PREVIEW

OF WHAT HAPPENS IN THE BUSINESS

WORLD THERE AT WALL STREET WHERE

THEY RING THE BELL.

I MEAN, THAT TAKES A LOT OF

COURAGE AND FORESIGHT TO BE ABLE

TO GO IN TO WHAT I WOULD SAY IS

A VERY NONTRADITIONAL AREA.

IT'S DOMINATING TODAY BY MORE

MALES.

THAT MUST HAVE BEEN SCARY.

>> IT WAS, ACTUALLY AT FIRST.

LET ME FIRST THANK YOU FOR

HAVING ME.

THANK YOU.

I'M SO HONORED AND IN AWE

LOOKING BEHIND ME, AND LOOKING

AT ALL OF THE GREAT WOMEN IN OUR

COUNTRY.

AND THE SUPPORT THAT YOU HAVE

SHOWN FOR WOMEN IS REALLY SO

ADMIRABLE AND AMAZING AND I

THANK YOU FOR THAT.

SO --

[APPLAUSE]

I HAVE TO BE HONEST.

WHEN YOU SAID THAT THE WOMEN'S

BUREAU WAS AROUND FOR 90 YEARS.

I SAID WHAT?

I HASN'T HEARD ABOUT THE WOMEN'S

BUREAU AT ALL UNTIL I MET

SECRETARY SOLIS.

SO, WOW!

BROADCASTING FROM THE FLOOR OF

THE NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE WAS

DIFFICULT IN THE BEGINNING

BECAUSE NO ONE HAD DONE IT

BEFORE.

AND WHEN I FIRST ARRIVED, THERE

WAS A BIG COMMUNITY DOWN THERE

THAT DID NOT WANT ME THERE.

NOT ONLY WAS I A WOMAN IN A SEA

OF SUITS, BUT I WAS A REPORTER

WITH A CAMERA.

AND SO, I'LL SHARE ONE STORY

WITH YOU IF YOU'LL INDULGE ME.

I HAD BEEN AT THE EXCHANGE ABOUT

A MONTH AND WE WERE STARTING A

NEW PROGRAM, SQUAWK BOX.

AND WE SAID, WE WANT TO MAKE A

DIFFERENCE.

SO WE SAID, LET'S GO TO DICK

GRASSO AND SEE IF WE CAN TAKE A

CAMERA ON THE FLOOR, WHICH HAD

NOT BEEN DONE BEFORE.

HE WANTED TO DEMYSTIFY WHAT WAS

GOING ON THE FLOOR SO HE ALLOWED

US.

SO AGAIN, IT WAS NEW TO ME AND

FIRST TIME I HAD BEEN ON THE

FLOOR.

AND IT WAS NEW TO THE TRADERS

CERTAINLY BECAUSE THEY HAD NOT

HAD THEIR BUSINESS BROADCAST.

ONE DAY I LEARNED WITH A MONTH

INTO IT THAT JACK WELCH WAS

COMING TO THE NEW YORK STOCK

EXCHANGE AND HE WAS THE CEO OF

GE AND HE WAS MY BOSS' BOSS'

BOSS BECAUSE GE OWNED CNBC.

AND I THOUGHT, THIS IS GREAT.

MY BOSS'S BOSS IS COMING TO THE

NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE.

I'M THE REPRESENTATION OF CNBC

DOWN HERE AND IT WOULD BE ME WHO

WILL BE ABLE TO BRING HIM OVER

TO THE POSTING WHERE GE IS

TRADED, INTRODUCE HIM TO THE

SPECIALISTS, THE PERSON BRINGING

THE BUYERS TOGETHER WITH THE

SELLERS AND GE STOCK AND THIS IS

FANTASTIC FOR ME.

I HAD MET THIS GENTLEMAN,

GEORGE, WHO WAS THE SPECIALIST

IN GE STOCK A FEW TIMES, AND HE

WAS HELPFUL TO ME.

HE EXPLAINED A LOT OF HOW

TRADING WORKS AND HOW ORDERS

FLOW AND WHERE IT'S COMING FROM.

SO I APPROACHED THE POST AND I

SAID -- AND IT LOOKED QUIET.

THERE MUST HAVE BEEN 25 OR 30

GUYS IN EARSHOT AND I SAW GEORGE

STANDING THERE.

HE DIDN'T LOOK BUSY.

I SAID, I JUST WANTED TO ASK HIM

IF I COULD BRING JACK WELCH OVER

TOMORROW AND IF HE WOULD EXPLAIN

HOW GE STOCK IS TRADED AND WHERE

THE ACCIDENT COMES FROM AND WHAT

IS GOING TO AND ALL THOSE

MACHINES DOWN THERE.

IF HE COULD EXPLAIN IT TO JACK

THE WAY HE EXPLAINED IT TO ME.

I WALKED OVER AND I SAID,

GEORGE -- WHAT?

ONE OF THE MEN IN THE CROWD WAS

NOT GOING TO HEAR THIS.

HE SAID, LITTLE GIRL, RUN ALONG!

YOU WILL NOT COME HERE.

YOU WILL NOT BROADCAST IT.

THIS IS NOT GOING ON YOUR LITTLE

TV SHOW!

GET OUT OF HERE NOW!

I'M ON THE FLOOR OF THE

EXCHANGE.

30 GUYS AROUND ME.

ALL WAITING FOR A RESPONSE.

YOU KNOW THE KNOTS IN YOUR

STOMACH FEELING.

I DO TOO.

AND SO, I REMAINED AND I

THOUGHT, OKAY, EVERYONE IS

WATCHING ME FOR RESPONSE.

I DOUG ANY DIGNITY I COULD FROM

INSIDE AND I SAID, DON'T SPEAK

TO ME THAT WAY, AND I RAN ALONG.

[LAUGHTER]

BUT I CAME BACK.

AND I KEPT COMING BACK.

>> THAT TAKES ME TO A PLACE --

[LAUGHTER]

THEY GOT USED TO ME.

>> I HEARD YOU HAVE A NICKNAME.

THE BULLET.

[LAUGHTER]

I'M SORRY.

I FORGOT.

I WANTED -- BEFORE YOU ANSWER MY

QUESTION ABOUT THE BULLET, LET'S

WATCH A CLIP WE HAVE HERE FOR

THE AUDIENCE.

>> I AM A REPORTER.

I'M A JOURNALIST.

THE FIRST PERSON TO REPORT LIVE

FROM THE FLOOR OF THE NEW YORK

STOCK EXCHANGE.

I'M A IMPORTANT PLAYER, A PRETTY

GOOD PLAYER.

A WANNA-BE BACK UP SINGER.

I AM A BROOKLYNITE.

I WAS A CROWD ACTION GIRL.

BACK IN THE DAY, THEY CALLED ME

THE BULLET.

I LOVED MY DOG.

I LOVED MY JOB.

I AM MARIA BARTIROMO.

I AM THE CNBC.

[APPLAUSE]

>> AWESOME.

NOW YOU HAVE TO TELL ME ABOUT

ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU SAID

THERE.

THE BULLET, THE DOG, AND THE

HATCHET MAN OR HATCHET WOMAN.

SO, MARIA?

>> WELL, I WAS THE FASTEST

RUNNER ON MY BLOCK AND WE WOULD

PLAY MANHUNT ON MY BLOCK IN

BROOKLYN AND THEY WOULD CALL ME

BULLET.

AND IT'S JUST THAT RIPPLE

AFFECT.

>> BUT YOU'RE QUICK.

YOU'RE QUICK AND YOU'RE STEADY

AND I HAVE BEEN WITH YOU IN SOME

OF THESE PANELS.

I KNOW WE HAD A REALLY GOOD

PANEL DISCUSSION A WHILE BACK

THAT YOU LED WITH SOME VERY

TOP-HEAVY FOLKS THAT REPRESENT

DIFFERENT ECONOMIES IN OUR

COUNTRY.

AND YOU HANDLE TODAY VERY WELL,

INCLUDING THE AUDIENCE.

SO I MEAN, I SEEN IF YOU ACTION.

TELL ME ABOUT THE ACCORDION.

I NEVER HEARD THAT.

>> MY MOM SAID TO ME ABOUT A

YEAR AGO, MARIA, I HAVE YOUR

ACCORDION FROM THE BASEMENT.

SHOULD I SAVE IT?

DO YOU WANT IT?

I SAID ABSOLUTELY.

NO ONE WOULD EVER BELIEVE I

PLAYED THE ACCORDION UNLESS THEY

SAW IT.

I WANT IT.

MY MOM ALWAYS WANTED US TO PLAY

A INSTRUMENT.

I PLAYED THE ACCORDION, MY

BROTHER THE GUITAR, MY SISTER

THE PIANO.

I'M GRATEFUL FOR THAT.

>> INCLUDING SINGING AND

PROBABLY ALL --

>> I WANTED TO BE A BACKUP

SINGER BECAUSE I LIKE THE MOVES

THE BACK UP SINGERS DO.

[LAUGHTER]

I REALLY LIKED THE MOVES IN THE

BACK.

>> A BIT ABOUT WHAT YOU DO HERE

FOR US IN TERMS OF ANALYZING THE

ECONOMIC SITUATION AND THE

BUSINESS FACTORS THAT AFFECT THE

WORLD ECONOMY, DO YOU SEE

CHANGES HAPPENING HERE IN

WASHINGTON?

WE NOW BECOME A MEGACENTER, SO

TO SPEAK, AND YOU KNOW MORE

ABOUT THIS THAN I DO BECAUSE YOU

ANALYZE AND TALK TO SO MANY

PEOPLE.

>> I DO THINK SO.

I THINK CLEARLY THERE HAS BEEN A

REAL BLENDING OF BUSINESS IN

GOVERNMENT.

AND I THINK AS A RESULT,

WASHINGTON, AS A CITY, IS

INCREASINGLY THE PLACE TO BE.

I THINK NEW YORK IS STILL

IMPORTANT IN TERMS OF BEING A

FINANCIAL CAPITAL BUT THERE IS

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT THAT

WASHINGTON AND WALL STREET AND

BUSINESS IN GENERAL HAVE COME

TOGETHER AND HOPEFULLY WORK TO

PARTNER IN A NUMBER OF WAYS TO

GROW THE ECONOMY.

>> THERE AREN'T MANY WOMEN THAT

ARE CAPABLE OR ABLE OR EVEN MANY

GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO SIT

WHERE YOU ARE AND TALK ABOUT

THINGS IN SUCH A BROAD SCALE.

I THINK ABOUT NEWS ANCHOR WOMEN

LIKE DIANE SAWYER AND COURIC,

BUT I SEE YOU AS SOMEONE WHO

BRINGS A SPECIAL EXPERTISE.

AND I'M SURE IT'S COMPETITIVE.

CAN YOU SHARE SOME OF YOUR

THOUGHTS ON THAT?

>> YES, IT IS COMPETITIVE.

I THINK PEOPLE ALWAYS WOULD SAY

TO ME AS I WAS MOVING THROUGHOUT

MY CAREER.

DON'T YOU WANT TO BE ON

"THE TODAY SHOW"?

DON'T YOU WANT TO BE KATIE

COURIC?

DON'T YOU WANT TO BE DIANE

SAWYER?

AND THE TRUTH IS, NO.

I DON'T.

I LOVE BUSINESSES, AND THE

ECONOMY.

AND I LOVE THAT NICHE.

AND BEING ABLE TO SPEAK TO

LEADERS IN GOVERNMENT ABOUT

JOBS, ABOUT THE ECONOMY, AND

LEADERS IN BUSINESS ABOUT HOW

THINGS ARE CHANGING, TURNS ME

ON.

I THINK THIS SUBJECT MATTERS

MORE THAN SO MANY SUBJECTS,

PARTICULARLY NOW AND OBVIOUSLY

THE ENVIRONMENT WE ARE IN.

I'M PROUD TO HAVE PUT MY STEAK

IN THE GROUND AND HELPED OTHERS

FOLLOW.

TODAY THERE ARE A LOT OF WOMEN

WORKING IN MY BUSINESS, BUSINESS

JOURNALISM AND I LIKE TO THINK

THAT BREAK SOMETHING GROUND,

BEING THAT PERSON TO GET INTO

THE FLOOR OF THE NEW YORK STOCK

EXCHANGE, HELPED THEM ALONG.

THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT IT THAT

IT IS COMPETITIVE, BUT

EVERYTHING IS COMPETITIVE.

SOMEONE SAID TO ME THE OTHER

DAY, THAT'S SO HARD.

I SAID, EVERYTHING IS HARD.

WHAT IS NOT HARD?

>> IT WOULDN'T BE FUN IF IT

WASN'T HARD, I GUESS?

RIGHT?

>> AND EVERYTHING IS HARD.

YOU WANT TO DO A GOOD JOB.

IT'S HARD.

>> I GOT A COPY OF YOUR BOOK

THAT WE PICKED UP HERE IN THE

OFFICE AND THIS IS BY YOU,

MARIA.

AND IT SAYS, THE 10 LOVES OF

ENDURING SUCCESS.

I LOOK AT THE BACK AND ONE OF

THE THINGS THAT THROUGH MY

ATTENTION HERE IS -- IF I CAN

READ THIS, SELF KNOWLEDGE.

LISTEN TO YOUR HEART.

VISION, PLANT YOUR DREAMS ON

SOLID GROUND.

INITIATIVE, KEEP RATTLING THE

CAGE.

WE WILL ALWAYS LEARN FROM

MISTAKES.

YOU'LL ALWAYS DO SOMETHING THAT

WASN'T PERFECT.

AND THE KEY IS, LIFE WILL ALWAYS

THROW YOU CURVEBALLS.

EVERYBODY GETS THE CURVEBALLS.

THE KEY IS HOW DO YOU CATCH IT?

IT'S NOT NECESSARILY THE

CURVEBALL.

IT'S HOW YOU HANDLE IT.

THAT'S WHAT I TRIED TO DO.

RATTLE THE CAGE.

NOT ENOUGH TO KNOCK SOMEBODY OUT

OF THE WAY, BUT IN THE WAY THAT

SAYS, I'M GOING TO KEEP ON GOING

AND I BELIEVE IN THIS AND I

THINK IN MY HEART, THIS CAN

WORK.

SO I'M GOING TRY IT AGAIN.

AND THERE ARE STORIES IN THE

BOOK LIKE, RON MYIER WHO RUNS

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS WHO STARTED AS

A DRIVER.

AND HE LEARNED OR HE WAS A

MARINE AND WHEN HE WAS IN THE

MARINES, HE WAS QUARANTINED ONCE

BECAUSE HE WAS SICK AND HIS

MOTHER SENT HIM A BOOK ABOUT

BEING AN AGENT.

HE FELL IN LOVE WITH THE

BUSINESS AND CAME BACK AND TRIED

TO GET A JOB IN THAT BUSINESS.

AND HE STARTED AS A DRIVER.

AND OPRAH WINFREY

STARTED -- THEY SAID YOU HAVE NO

TALENT WHEN SHE FIRST STARTED.

I REMEMBER DENNIS SWANSON, THE

GUY WHO PUT HER ON THE AIR, SHE

WENT AND SHE TRIED OUT TO BE AN

ANCHOR READING SCRIPT.

AND THEY SAID, SHE'S HORRIBLE.

SHE'S SO STIFF.

SHE CAN'T READ A SCRIPT AND THEY

WOULDN'T HIRE HER.

DENNIS SAID, OPRAH, GO BACK AND

GET IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA AND

JUST TALK, TELL ME WHAT IS IN

YOUR HEART.

IT WAS A COMPLETE SENSATION

BECAUSE SHE CONNECTED WITH

PEOPLE.

AND BY THE END OF THE DAY OPRAH

SAID TO DENNIS, HOW DID I DO?

WHEN YOU GO HOME TONIGHT, AND

YOU SPEAK TO YOUR FAMILY, AND

THEY TELL YOU HOW YOU DID,

PLEASE DO ME A FAVOR, KEEP YOUR

HEAD ON STRAIGHT BECAUSE WE NEED

IT TO FIT IN THE DOOR TOMORROW.

[LAUGHTER]

SO, YES YOU KEEP RATTLING THE

CAGE.

>> WHEN I THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU

HAD TO GO THROUGH, IT'S FUNNY

BECAUSE WE BOTH COME FROM

DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY

BUT I CAN SENSE FROM YOU THAT

FAMILY MEANT A LOT, AS MYSELF,

FAMILY MEANS A LOT IN OUR

CULTURE AND WHO WE ARE.

AND I JUST HAVE TO SAY THAT ONE

OF YOUR COLLEAGUES, MARK HAINES,

WHO SITS IN ALSO AND REPORTS AND

SOMETIMES HE INTERVIEWED ME WHEN

I PROVIDE THE MONTHLY REPORT ON

UNEMPLOYMENT, HE HAS A PROBLEM

PRONOUNCING MY NAME.

I'M SURE PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM

PRONOUNCING YOUR LAST NAME TOO

BUT THE THING IS, IT'S THESE

DIFFERENCES IN DIVERSITY THAT IS

SO EXCITING ABOUT CHANGES THAT I

SEE HAPPENING AND HAVE YOU BEEN

ABLE TO DEAL WITH THAT?

I'M SURE THAT YOU ARE A

TRAILBLAZER IN YOUR AREA IN YOUR

FIELD.

>> THANK YOU.

AND YOU KNOW, THE NAME

IS -- IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S

TRUE.

I FEEL LIKE MY NAME IS EASY

BECAUSE IT'S PRONOUNCED EXACTLY

THE WAY IT IS SAID.

BUT WITH A NAME LIKE MARIA

BARTIROMO PEOPLE FORGET IT ALL

THE TIME.

I TRY TO EDUCATE MARK ABOUT YOUR

NAME MANY TIMES AND HE GETS IT

WRONG.

I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO BY THE

WAY.

I THINK WE ARE A COUNTRY OF

DIVERSE CULTURES AND VALUES AND

IT'S WONDERFUL.

AND THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF AMERICA

AND THAT'S WHAT I'M SO PROUD OF.

MY GRANDFATHER, CAR MINE, FOUGHT

FOR HIS COUNTRY, ITALY, IN WORLD

WAR I.

AND THEN GOT ON A SHIP CALLED,

THE REX, IN 1919, AND HE CAME TO

AMERICA.

AND YOU COULD IMAGINE ALL OF OUR

ANCESTORS, HOW THEY FELT LEAVING

FRIENDS AND FAMILY BEHIND FOR

THIS PROMISE OF FREEDOM AND

STRENGTH IN AMERICA.

SO HE GOT ON A SHIP AND CAME TO

ELLIS ISLAND IN 1919 AND HE WAS

A BRICK LAYER IN ITALY AND SO HE

BUILT A RESTAURANT IN BROOKLYN

AND HE NAMED IT THE REX MAN OR

AND THAT WAS MY FIRST JOB, AS

THE COAT CHECK GIRL.

SO ALL THE STEPS I HAVE HAD

STANDS ON MY FAMILY'S SHOULDERS.

>> THAT'S A GREAT STORY.

IT'S AMAZING TO SEE THE WORK YOU

HAVE DONE.

YOU MENTION YOU HAVE BEEN

TRAVELING A LOT AND YOU HAVE HAD

THE OPPORTUNITY TO TALK ABOUT

SOME OF THE THINGS THAT OUR

GOVERNMENT IS INVOLVED IN AND

OTHER DISCUSSIONS WITH THE G20

AND I MENTIONED TO YOU THAT WE

ARE GOING TO BE HOSTING FOR THE

FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF OUR

GOVERNMENT, THE LABOR MINISTER

G20 MEETING IN OUR DEPARTMENT.

I LOVE FOR YOU TO COME AND BE A

PART OF THAT.

>> I WOULD LOVE TO BE A PART OF

IT.

IT'S SUCH A PREMIER EVENT AND

THE TRUTH IS--

AND IT HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE.

[APPLAUSE]

THESE ARE THE KINDS OF THINGS

THAT REALLY BRING THE WORLD

TOGETHER.

SO, CONGRATULATIONS ON THAT.

WE WILL BE DEFINITELY BE

COVERING IT.

>> I'M EXITED.

SO MANY GOOD THINGS ARE

HAPPENING IN THE DEPARTMENT OF

BUREAU.

AND ONE IS THE WOMEN'S BUREAU

WHICH HAS BEEN AROUND FOR 90

YEARS AND WE WANT TO ALSO

INCLUDE YOU IN ANY CELEBRATION

THAT IS WE HAVE BECAUSE IT IS

IMPORTANT FOR WOMEN RIGHT NOW IN

THIS ECONOMIC CRISIS THAT ARE

NOW REPRESENTING MORE THAN 50%

OF THE WORKFORCE YET THE WAGE

GAP CONTINUES, WOMEN STILL

HAVEN'T BROKEN THROUGH THE GLASS

CEILING.

WE DON'T SEE ENOUGH IN THE

FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES, AND I

THINK OUR ROLE OR MY ROLE IS TO

END WITH THE HELP OF THE WOMEN'S

BUREAU AND ALL THE FOLKS IN THE

DOL AND THE FOLKS THAT ARE

WATCHING US IN THE REGION, THAT

THERE IS SO MUCH OPPORTUNITY FOR

US RIGHT NOW WHILE WE ARE IN

THIS CRISIS TO GET EDUCATION AND

GET TRAINING AND MAYBE TAKE A

BREAK IF YOU HAVE TO AND

REASSESS WHAT YOUR NEXT STEP

WILL BE.

LIKE YOU SAID, IT'S OKAY IF YOU

DON'T SUCCEED RIGHT AWAY.

IT'S OKAY IF YOU TAKE A LITTLE

BACK APPROACH TO KIND OF ASSESS

WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

AND YOU SAY THAT TOO IN YOUR

BOOK, TALKING ABOUT REALLY

REASSESSING WHERE YOU WANT TO

GO, GETTING THAT FOUNDATION.

AND KNOWING WHAT MATTERS THE

MOST.

>> IT'S TRUE.

I THINK ONE OF THE KEYS TO

SUCCEEDING IN A TROUBLED

ENVIRONMENT IS ADAPTING.

AND THAT IS CERTAINLY ONE OF THE

LAWS THAT I WROTE ABOUT AND, YOU

KNOW, GARY, THE CHESS CHAMP

ONE -- CHESS CHAMPION IS ONE

PERSON I INTERVIEWED.

I SAID, WHAT WAS IT -- WHAT WERE

SOME OF THE IMPORTANT THINGS YOU

LEARNED BEING AT THAT CHESS

TABLE?

STRATEGIZING?

AND BECOMING SUCH A CHAMP AT IT?

AND HE SAID, FIRST OF ALL, BE

LIKE DARWIN.

DARWIN SAID, IT'S NOT THE

SMARTEST OR MOST INTELLIGENT

THAT SUCCEEDS, IT'S THE PERSON

THAT IS ABLE TO ADAPT.

WITH THE ECONOMY CHANGING SO

MUCH AND WE TALKED ABOUT IT IN

OUR MANUFACTURING SPECIAL, WHERE

SOME JOBS HAVE GONE AWAY, HAVE

GONE OVERSEAS, THAT PERHAPS

WON'T COME BACK.

SO HOW DO YOU DIESEL WITH THAT?

YOU ADOPT -- HOW DO YOU DEAL

WITH THAT?

YOU GO INTO THIS GREEN AREA.

LOOK AT YOUR SKILL SET AND SAY,

WHAT CAN I APPLY TO WHERE THE

GROWTH IS?

WHAT SKILL SET DO I HAVE THAT I

CAN APPLY TO AN ENVIRONMENT THAT

IS CHANGING?

ANOTHER THING HE SAID TO ME AS

FAR AS ADAPTING, HE SAID

SCRUTINIZE YOUR VICTORIES.

MOST OF US WHEN WE HAVE A

MISTAKE OR WE FAIL AT SOMETHING,

WE SAY, YOU KNOW, I KNEW I

SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS.

THIS IS WHERE I WENT WRONG ON

THAT.

WE SCRUTINIZE AND SCRUTINIZE OUR

FAILURES.

AND YET WHEN WE ARE VICTORIOUS,

WE SAY, I WON AND THAT'S IT.

BUT INSTEAD, A CHESS CHAMP, HE

WOULD LOOK AT IT AND SCRUTINIZE

HIS VICTORY AND SAY, FOOLED THEM

AGAIN.

I WON BUT HERE IS WHAT I SHOULD

HAVE DONE TO BE BETTER THAN

THAT.

>> THAT'S GREAT.

[APPLAUSE]

>> I THINK WE ARE GOING TO TAKE

SOME QUESTIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE

IF THAT'S OKAY.

>> THAT'S GREAT.

>> WE HAVE FOLKS THAT ARE LINED

UP TO ASK SOME QUESTIONS.

WE HAVE A MIC.

>> I HAVE A QUESTION.

JUST FOLLOWING ALONG THE LINES

OF TRAILBLAZING AND SURVIVING IN

THIS ECONOMY AND DIFFERENT

THINGS THAT WE CAN DO TO ADAPT.

I THINK THERE IS A REAL GOOD

OPPORTUNITY FOR SECRETARY SOLIS

AND SOMEONE LIKE YOU, WHO IS OUT

THERE AND HAS THE EAR OF THE

BUSINESS SECTOR, TO REALLY

IMPROVE THINGS FOR NOT JUST

WOMEN, BECAUSE WHEN YOU IMPROVE

THINGS FOR WOMEN, YOU IMPROVE

THINGS FOR FAMILY AND FOR OUR

COUNTRY.

ONE OF THE THESE IS, AND I DON'T

KNOW.

YOU MAY SPEAK TO THIS IF YOU

HEARD THE RESULTS ARE IN WORK

ENVIRONMENT, AND GOES BEYOND

TELECOMMUTING AND LOOKS AT JOBS

IN A NEW WAY.

EVEN JOBS THAT PEOPLE WOULD NOT

THINK COULD BE DONE WHERE PEOPLE

CAN WORK IN AN ALTERNATIVE WORK

ENVIRONMENT.

BUT I'D LIKE TO KNOW IF EITHER

OF YOU IS AWARE OF THIS, THE

RESULTS, AND I'LL LET YOU SPEAK

TO THAT TO SEE WHETHER OR NOT

YOU SUPPORT TELECOMMUTING OR

GOING BEYOND TELECOMMUTING AND

YOU MIGHT EVEN TIE IT IN WITH

THE FCC'S RECENT RELEASE OF THE

BROADBAND PLAN BECAUSE WE ARE

TALKING ABOUT DIFFERENT

TECHNOLOGIES TO IMPROVE HOW WE

DO THINGS, SAVE MONEY, HELP THE

ECONOMY.

SO I'LL SIT DOWN AND HEAR YOUR

ANSWER.

THANK YOU.

>> I KNOW THAT THAT IS A

FAMILY-LIFE-WORK ISSUE.

WE SHOULD TRIED TO -- TRY TO

PROVIDE AND STRIVE FOR ALLOWING

PEOPLE TO TELECOMMUTE.

WE NEED TO DO MORE OF THAT AND

ESPECIALLY IN THE FEDERAL

GOVERNMENT.

AND WE CAN PROBABLY LEAD BY

DOING SO MANY MORE THINGS.

AND I AGREE THAT WITH THE

INTERNET BEING AVAILABLE THAT

THAT IS SOMETHING THAT CERTAINLY

WE DO OR WE ARE STARTING TO SEE

MORE AND MORE OF THAT HAPPEN.

I HAVE A SISTER, FOR EXAMPLE,

WHO WORKS FOR A BIG FOUNDATION

IN CALIFORNIA AND OFTENTIMES

SHE'S NOT ABLE TO GET WHERE SHE

NEEDS TO BE BUT SHE CAN GET

ONLINE AND TAKE CARE OF WHAT SHE

NEEDS TO, REPORT IN AND GET THE

JOB DONE.

AND NOT FEEL THAT THERE IS ANY

PRESSURE.

A LOT OF IT HAS TO DO ALSO WITH

THE WORK ENVIRONMENT AND WHAT

HAPPENS.

UNFORTUNATELY RIGHT NOW WE ARE

MOVING TOWARDS THE DIRECTION OF

WHERE WE ARE TRYING TO GET MORE

OF OUR BUSINESSES AND WORKPLACES

TO START LOOKING AT THAT.

THAT'S SOMETHING THAT THE OBAMA

ADMINISTRATION HAS TALKED A LOT

ABOUT AND FIRST LADY, MICHELLE

OBAMA, WHO CAME HERE, ALSO

TALKED ABOUT THAT.

WE WANT TO HAVE MORE OPPORTUNITY

TO EXPLORE THAT.

AND I CERTAINLY KNOW HOW

IMPORTANT THAT IS, ESPECIALLY

FOR THE DEMANDS.

YOU HAVE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO

HAVE ELDERLY PARENTS THEY ARE

TAKING CARE OF OR SPOUSES OR

OTHER EXTENDED MEMBERS IN OUR

HOUSEHOLD AND THAT IS SOMETHING

THAT AS WE BEGIN TO LOOK AT

WHERE WE ARE GOING IN TERMS OF

WORKFORCE AND ECONOMY, MAKING

THOSE ADJUSTMENTS.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I WOULD

LIKE TO HEAR MARIA TALK ABOUT

AND WE HAVE DISCUSSED THIS

BEFORE IS, BECAUSE WE CONTRACTED

SO MUCH, WE LOST SO MANY JOBS

ALSO, BUT WE SEE PRODUCTIVITY IS

GOING UP.

WE ARE WORKING HARDER.

AND KIND OF THINKING, WHAT DOES

THAT MEAN FOR ME?

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR A WOMAN?

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR THE

WORKER OUT THERE WHO MAY BE

UNDER PRESSURE THINKING, GEE,

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?

WHAT ALTERNATIVE?

THIS IS A WHOLE NEW DYNAMIC.

YOU PROBABLY INTERVIEWED A LOT

OF PEOPLE ABOUT THAT.

>> THAT'S TRUE.

I THINK THE DEMOGRAPHICS OF OUR

NATION ARE CHANGING.

AND WE ARE LIVING LONGER, WHICH

IS A GREAT THING.

I MET WITH THE HEAD OF THE

LONGEVITY CENTER AT STAMFORD

UNIVERSITY.

AND SHE SAID I DON'T KNOW WHY

PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE

FACT WE ARE LIVING LONGER AS A

CRISIS.

THIS IS FANTASTIC!

WE NEED TO BE ENABLING PEOPLE TO

LIVE LONGER, WORKING LONGER AND

WORKING VIBRANTLY.

AND YOU CAN DO THAT IN A NUMBER

OF WAYS.

IN PARTICULAR, YOU CAN DO THAT

FROM HOME.

AND ANOTHER ISSUE WE ARE FACED

WITH IS, COMPANIES ARE WATCHING

TALENTED EMPLOYEES, PEOPLE WITH

REAL SKILL SETS WITH YEARS AND

YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, WALK OUT

THE DOOR.

BECAUSE THEY DON'T SEE THE SAME

OPPORTUNITIES THAT THEY DID OR

THEIR WORKPLACE IS FACED WITH

STRYCHNINE-5 ON THE JOB AT THE

HEADQUARTERS RULES.

I HAVE A COLLEAGUE ON WHO SAID

TO ME, I LIVE AN HOUR AWAY FROM

WORK AND I -- THIS WOMAN IS

FANTASTIC.

SHE IS MY RIGHT ARM.

SHE EXECUTES SO WELL AND I NEED

HER WITH ME.

SHE SAID TO ME, BUT GAS IS VERY

EXPENSIVE.

I LIVE AN HOUR.

I DRIVE EVERY DAY AN HOUR TO AND

AN HOUR FROM.

TUESDAY AND THURSDAY SHE WORKS

FROM HOME.

AND IT'S PERFECT.

WHY NOT?

SO I THINK INCREASINGLY,

COMPANIES WILL COME UP WITH WAYS

TO KEEP THOSE TALENTED EMPLOYEES

AND ACCOMMODATE THEIR LIVES.

AND YOU KNOW, WOMEN, AND THIS IS

GREAT THAT IT'S, WE ARE

CELEBRATING WOMEN THIS MONTH,

WOMEN ARE SOARING.

IF YOU LOOK AROUND THE WORLD,

IT'S NOT AMERICA.

60% OF THE HIGHER DEGREES,

IMMEDIATE SCHOOL, LAW SCHOOL,

BUSINESS SCHOOL, ARE GOING TO

WOMEN.

EVEN IN IRAN, WHERE THEY ARE

COVERED UP, THEY ARE GETTING THE

HIGHER DEGREES AND I HAD MELINDA

GATES RECENTLY AND SHE SAID, YOU

KNOW, IT'S VERY GOOD.

IT'S FANTASTIC THAT WOMEN ARE

DOING SO WELL AND EXCELLING BUT

WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MEN.

THEY ARE FALLING BACK.

AND WOMEN WANT TO DO IT ALL.

AND THEY HAVE ALL THE BALLS IN

THE AIR AND THEY ARE.

SO I THINK IT'S WONDERFUL.

>> WOMEN ARE WORKING HARDER.

THERE IS NO DOUBT.

BUT I THINK THAT ONE OF THE

THINGS THAT WE ARE CONFRONTED

WITH AS WE LOOK AT WHAT THE ROLE

OF THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR IS

AND LOOKING AT FUTURE CAREERS

AND WHERE WOMEN FIT INTO THAT

PARADIGM SO TO SPEAK, WE ARE

ALWAYS CHALLENGED WITH MAKING

SURE THAT WE CAN GIVE THE RIGHT

MESSAGES AND INFORMATION AND

APPROPRIATE TRAINING FOR

ESPECIALLY OUR YOUNG WOMEN.

WHERE TO MAKE THOSE INVESTMENTS.

SHOULD I GO TO VOCATIONAL

SCHOOL?

SHOULD I GO TO A COMMUNITY

COLLEGE?

SHOULD I DIVE RIGHT INTO A

4-YEAR UNIVERSITY?

IF I STUDY MY PASSION, WHICH

MIGHT BE PHILOSOPHY, WILL THAT

GIVE ME A JOB AND SO MANY OF

THESE THINGS ARE COMING UP NOW.

WHAT WOULD YOU TELL A YOUNG

WOMAN WHO IS TRYING TO DETERMINE

WHERE SHE THINKS SHE MAY OR

SHOULD GO?

>> EASY ANSWER FOR ME.

SECRETARY, I WOULD SAY DO WHAT

YOU LOVE.

I THINK IT'S INCREDIBLY

IMPORTANT TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE.

WHEN I CAME OUT OF SCHOOL, I

WASN'T EXPECTING TO MAKE A LOT

OF MONEY.

I WANTED TO GO INTO JOURNALISM

AND I THINK IF YOU DO WHAT YOU

LOVE AND YOU FIND THAT NICHE OF

REALLY WHAT YOU LOVE, YOU CAN

WORK REALLY HARD AT IT AND YOU

WILL PROBABLY BE AT THE RIGHT

PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME AND GET

A LITTLE LUCK AS WELL.

AND I WOULD TURN THE QUESTION

BACK TO YOU AND SAY, LOOKING OUT

5, 10 YEARS, WHERE IS THE

GROWTH?

I KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO SAY

HEALTH CARE.

I KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO SAY OIL

ALTERNATIVES AND GREEN, AND I

KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO SAY

INFRASTRUCTURE AND I THINK

YOU'RE GOING TO SAY TECHNOLOGY.

AND I THINK ALL OF THIS -- I

INTERVIEWED!

[LAUGHTER]

BUT I THINK ALL OF THOSE AREAS

YOU CAN APPLY TO SO MANY THINGS.

WHO WOULD HAVE AGAIN THAT YOU

CAN STUDY TECHNOLOGY AND GET A

JOB IN HEALTH CARE?

THAT'S YOU WHAT CAN DO.

SO YOU CAN BE MARRYING SOME OF

THESE AREAS WHERE THERE IS

GROWTH TO THE PLACES THAT YOU

REALLY LOVE.

AND YOU MUST DO YOU WHAT LOVE.

>> THAT IS A GREAT RESPONSE

BECAUSE IN SOME OF MY TRAVELS,

AND I JUST SHARED THIS WITH YOU,

I WAS IN SACRAMENTO VISITING ONE

OF OUR COMMUNITY COLLEGE

PARTNERSHIP PROGRAMS ON NURSING

PROGRAMS.

AND WE HEARD DIFFERENT STUDENTS

FROM A VARIETY OF AGES AND A

VARIETY OF ETHNIC BACKGROUNDS.

AND ALL OF THEM TALKED ABOUT HOW

DIFFICULT IT WAS TO GET INTO THE

NURSING PROGRAM PERIOD.

SO HERE WE ARE PROMOTING GET

INTO HEALTH CARE CAREERS, HERE

IS ONE BIG OBSTACLE WE ARE FACED

WITH.

ALL OF THEM SAID, ONE THING THAT

REALLY HIT HOME, THAT WAS THAT

THEY HAD A LOT OF PERSISTENCE.

EVEN THOUGH THESE CLASSES WERE

IMPACTED AND THERE WERE NO SLOTS

WHEN THEY WERE READY TO TAKE

THAT JUMP, SOMEBODY OR SOMETHING

MADE SOMETHING HAPPEN.

THEY WERE READY TO DO IT WHEN

THEY GOT A CALL.

AND MANY OF THEM WERE IN OTHER

PROFESSIONS AS WELL.

AND JUST SAID, I WANT TO DO

SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

I WANT TO DO SOMETHING FOR ME

THAT IS GOING TO REWARD OR BE

REWARDED FOR ME AND ONE WOMAN

THAT I WILL REMEMBER VERY

DISTINCTLY, SHE WAS 50 YEARS OLD

AND SHE SAID, SECRETARY, I'M

50 -- I WAS 50 YEARS OLD WHEN I

WANTED TO BECOME A NURSE.

I WAS IN RESPIRATORY THERAPY BUT

I REALLY WANTED TO BE A NURSE.

AND PEOPLE WOULD SAY TO ME, IT'S

TOO LATE FOR YOU.

SHE SAID, WELL, THAT'S YOU WHAT

THINK.

AND SHE PERSISTED.

THREE YEARS LATER SHE GETS INTO

THE NURSING PROGRAM.

AND NOW SHE HAS MAYBE ONE MORE

YEAR TO COMPLETE.

SHE SAYS, SO WHAT?

I'M GOING TO BE 54.

PEOPLE NEED ME BECAUSE PEOPLE

ARE LIVING LONGER AND I LIKE

DOING MY JOB AND PEOPLE LIKE ME.

AND I THOUGHT, THAT SAYS IT ALL.

THOSE ARE THE STORIES THAT I

THINK THAT SOMETIMES WE DON'T

HEAR ABOUT A LOT IN THE MEDIA

AND YET, THOSE ARE THE KINDS OF

STORIES THAT HELP TO INSPIRE

PEOPLE TO KEEP GOING.

LIKE YOU, JUST YOU DON'T GIVE

UP.

>> IT'S TRUE.

THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS

TO DO SOMETHING THAT YOU LOVE.

I MEAN, BECAUSE OF THE

DEMOGRAPHICS CHANGE THAT IS WE

ARE SEEING.

TRADITIONAL NURSING DOESN'T

NECESSARILY HAVE TO BE THE ONLY

OUTLET.

MY SISTER WORKS AT A HOME HEALTH

CARE AGENCY.

SHE IS GOING -- I WAS WITH HER

LAST YEAR IN THE HOLIDAYS.

SHE HAD TO GO AND TAKE SOMEONE'S

BLOOD PRESSURE ON CHRISTMAS AND

SHE IS DOING WHATEVER IT TAKES

WHERE THE DEMANDS ARE.

SO, IT COULD BE HOME HEALTH

CARE.

IT COULD BE TECHNOLOGY IN TERMS

OF RECORDS, A WHOLE HOST OF

THINGS WITHIN NURSING.

>> AND I THINK THAT YOU'RE

RIGHT.

THE AREAS OF GROWTH YOU ASKED ME

ABOUT, WE CONTINUE TO SEE THAT

THERE ARE MORE POSITIONS

AVAILABLE AND ACTUALLY IN SOME

AREAS IN HEALTH CARE, WE HAVE A

SHORTAGE OF QUALIFIED PEOPLE.

SO WE DO WANT TO SEE MORE OF

THAT HAPPEN AS PEOPLE HAVE TO

READJUST NOW WITH THE

CONTRACTION IN OUR ECONOMY AND

JOB LOSS THAT WON'T COME BACK.

HERE IS A OPPORTUNITY FOR,

ESPECIALLY, I THINK NOT JUST

WOMEN BUT YOUNG WOMEN WHO THINK

ABOUT MASSIVE SCIENCE.

YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH WOMEN THAT

STILL FOLLOW INTO THAT CAREER

AND ESPECIALLY THE YOUNG GIRLS

WHO I FEEL ARE CALLED AT THAT

AGE WHERE YOU ARE EITHER

TRAPPED, YOU EITHER WENT INTO

PRE-ALGEBRA AND ALGEBRA AND THEN

TOOK THE ADVANCED COURSES.

IF YOU DON'T MAKES IT IN RIGHT

AWAY THAT THE POINT IN YOUR LIFE

VERY EARLY.

NOT EVERYONE HAS SOMEONE TO

SHARE THAT.

THAT WAS MY EXAMPLE.

BUT I THINK THOSE ARE TOUGH

THINGS THAT WE ARE STILL TRYING

TO FIX.

AND I JUST WONDER IF YOU HAD

MAYBE ANY THOUGHTS ON THAT?

>> I THINK IT DOES GO BACK TO

EDUCATION.

THAT'S WHY I THINK WHEN YOU ARE

LOOKING AT A INDUSTRY THAT IS

CHANGING AND THE MEDIA BUSINESS

IS CHANGING SO MUCH.

NEWSPAPERS ARE GOING OUT OF

BUSINESS AND YOU NEED TO ADAPT.

SO YOU NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT

SKILL SET YOU ARE LACKING.

AND WHAT EDUCATION YOU MAY NEED.

IN ORDER TO SURVIVE THE CHANGES

HAPPENING.

AND FOR EXAMPLE, BUSINESS NEWS.

NOBODY EVER TEACHES YOU ABOUT

MONEY.

AND THAT'S THE REASON THAT RIGHT

NOW I'M WORKING ON A PROGRAM TO

TEACH KIDS ABOUT MONEY.

IN A CARTOON FASHION.

I GET CALLS FROM MY GIRLFRIENDS

SOMETIMES WHO I WENT TO HIGH

SCHOOL WITH AND THEY SAY, MARIA,

GREAT SHOES, GOOD HAIR -- NO

IDEA YOU WHAT SAID TODAY.

I SAID, GUYS, YOU NEED TO GET

YOUR HANDS AROUND THIS BECAUSE

IT'S NOT BRAIN SURGERY.

AND YOU NEED TO HAVE A FINANCIAL

LIFE AND BE INDEPENDENT.

SO, I THINK WE DON'T LEARN MONEY

AND WE DON'T LEARN MATH AND

SCIENCE PROPERLY ENOUGH AS A

YOUNG PERSON AND THEN WE ARE

ADULTS AND WE STILL DON'T

UNDERSTAND.

AND SO, I THINK IT DOES START

WITH EDUCATION AND I THINK WHEN

YOU ARE EMBARKING ON A SITUATION

WHERE THINGS ARE CHANGING AROUND

YOU, YOU NEED TO SURVIVE AND

THRIVE HOPEFULLY.

YOU NEED TO EXAMINE WHERE YOUR

HOLES ARE AND WHAT SKILL SETS

YOU NEED AND THAT'S WHAT I THINK

YOU NEED TO GO FOR.

>> IF YOU COULD SHARE WITH THE

AUDIENCE MAYBE YOUR TOP FIVE

POINTS IN THE BOOK, THAT WOULD

BE REALLY HELPFUL FOR US.

>> I THINK THE BOOK IS LACED

WITH A LOT OF MY OWN STORIES AND

IT IS ALSO LACED WITH STORIES OF

PEOPLE THAT I HAVE INTERVIEWED.

AND I THINK WHAT HAS HELPED ME

IS NUMBER 1, HARD WORK.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS.

AND IF THERE IS ONE THING THAT I

JUST CAN'T TOLERATE IS A SENSE

OF ENTITLEMENT.

I JUST CAN'T DO IT.

I HAD AN INTERVIEW WITH SOMEONE

RECENTLY AND SHE SAID TO ME, I

REALLY WANT THIS JOB WORKING

WITH YOU AT CNBC.

ALL I NEED IS A LAPTOP, A MOBILE

DEVICE, A CELL PHONE, I NEED OFF

ON THURSDAY AND I DEFINITELY

NEED AN OFFICE.

I JUST LOOKED AT HER IN

ASTONISHMENT AND I THOUGHT, WHAT

A SHAME.

SHE IS SMART.

SHE COULD HAVE HAD THE JOB BUT

SHE JUST BLUE IT!

AND SO I THINK WORK HARD.

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS.

THIS IS CRITICAL.

I THINK LOVING WHAT YOU DO IS

CRITICAL.

AND I THINK DOING THE RIGHT

THING IS CRITICAL.

INTEGRITY IS ONE OF THE LAWS OF

SUCCESS.

PEOPLE WANT TO BELIEVE AROUND

PEOPLE WHO HAVE INTEGRITY.

PEOPLE WANT TO BE AROUND PEOPLE

THEY TRUST.

AND YOU COULD BE SUCCESSFUL WITH

MONETARY THINGS AND LOTS OF

STUFF AND NOT HAVE INTEGRITY.

BUT YOU TRULY CAN'T BE

SUCCESSFUL WITHOUT HAVING

INTEGRITY.

I BELIEVE THAT.

I THINK THAT THE ONE THING THAT

WE REALLY CAN CONTROL AND WE CAN

ONLY PROTECT IS OUR REPUTATION.

AND THAT WILL FOLLOW YOU

EVERYWHERE.

SO, I THINK THOSE ARE PROBABLY

AMONG THE MOST IMPORTANT.

>> THAT'S REALLY GREAT.

BUILD YOUR STAMINA.

ENDURANCE.

>> IT'S IMPORTANT.

I FIND MYSELF WORKING A LOT.

I LOVE WHAT I DO.

SO I'M LUCKY.

BUT WHEN YOU DO WORK, WORK,

WORK, AND NOT RECOGNIZE YOUR OWN

LIMITATIONS, YOU'RE SETTING

YOURSELF UP FOR A PROBLEM.

I RECENTLY STARTED TO DO YOGA,

BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD DO IT.

MEDITATION?

THAT'S NOT FOR ME.

BUT IT'S STRETCHING YOUR BODY.

AND WORKING OUT REGALLY AND

GETTING ON THE TREADMILL EVEN IF

IT'S 10:00 AT NIGHT.

LUCKILY MY GYM IS OPEN UNTIL

11:00.

IT'S IMPORTANT TO BUILD YOUR

STAMINA.

EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE.

YOU NEED YOUR STRENGTH WHEN PUSH

COMES TO SHOVE.

AND SO I DO THINK THAT ENDURANCE

IS IMPORTANT.

>> WOW.

YOU TALK ABOUT HOLD ON TO YOUR

HUMANITY.

>> THAT IS HUMILITY.

HOLD ON TO YOUR HUMANITY,

MEANING HUMILITY IS ONE OF THE

10 LAWS OF SUCCESS.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

WHAT I TRIED TO DO IN THE BOOK

IS NOT JUST TALK ABOUT HOW TO

GET IT, HOW TO BECOME

SUCCESSFUL, BUT HOW TO KEEP IT.

AND ONE THING THAT I

UNFORTUNATELY HAD SEEN, ARE

PEOPLE IN BUSINESS WHO GET TO A

POINT WHERE THEY JUST THINK THAT

THEY ARE ABOVE.

AND THAT THEY BELIEVE THEY ARE

ON PRESS RELEASES.

THEY DON'T -- DON'T BELIEVE

YOU'RE ON PRESS RELEASES.

[LAUGHTER]

YOU CAN'T APPROACH SOMETHING AND

SAY --

[LAUGHTER]

YOU CAN'T APPROACH SOMETHING AND

SAY, I DID IT WELL BECAUSE I'M

JUST THAT GOOD.

I'M JUST BETTER THAN THE NEXT

GUY.

YOU KNOW WHAT?

YOU'RE NOT.

YOU WORKED HARD.

MAYBE YOU DO HAVE GREAT SKILL.

BUT YOU ALSO HAVE SOME LUCK.

SO IT'S IMPORTANT TO REMAIN

HUMBLE.

HYBRISES IS THE EASIEST WAY TO

LOSE IT.

>> YOU KNOW, I THINK --

[LAUGHTER]

>> I'M LOOKING AT CARL BECAUSE

HE'S WRITING A PRESS RELEASE.

>> I'M SORRY, CARL.

>> CARL IS GREAT.

SOME DAYS.

[LAUGHTER]

WE LOVE HIM.

WE LOVE HIM.

BUT YOU KNOW, SOMETHING YOU SAY

THAT STRIKES ME IS SOMETHING

VERY IMPORTANT.

A LOT OF TIMES PEOPLE DON'T GET

ENCOURAGEMENT.

AND THERE ISN'T ANYONE AROUND TO

KIND OF BOOST YOU OR -- MAYBE

NOT BOOST YOU BUT HELP YOU

GET-UP-AND-GO IN THE RIGHT

DIRECTION.

AND THAT HAPPENS A LOT FOR WOMEN

AND ESPECIALLY WOMEN OF COLOR

AND WOMEN WITH OTHER THINGS THAT

ARE GOING ON IN THEIR LIFE.

WE GET SO CAUGHT UP SOMETIMES IN

OUR OWN BUBBLE AND WE DON'T WANT

TO VENTURE OUT AND IT'S HARD TO

THINK OUTSIDE OF THAT AND I

THINK SOMETIMES WHEN OTHER

PEOPLE TELL US OR GIVE US A

COMPLIMENT, I KNOW SOMETIMES I

HAVE A HARD TIME WHEN PEOPLE

TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD -- I

DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD BELIEVE

IT.

PART OF IT IS BECAUSE I THINK OF

MY OWN UP BRINGING BECAUSE WE

WERE TAUGHT NOT TO BE -- DON'T

STICK OUT.

DON'T ACT LIKE YOU KNOW

EVERYTHING AND SIT BACK AND JUST

NOT BE SEEN.

THAT WAS OUR CULTURE FOR

LATINAS.

THAT'S THE CULTURE THAT PUTS

WOMEN DOWN AT A CERTAIN LEVEL.

AND PART OF ME HAS BEEN TO BREAK

OUT OF THAT AND SAY, NOT

NECESSARILY SAYING I WANT PEOPLE

TO SEE WHAT I'M DOING.

I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE

MY VOICE HEARD AND HOPEFULLY THE

REPRESENTS WHAT OTHERS FEEL OUT

THERE.

AND I SAY THAT BECAUSE VERY

EARLY IN LIFE I HAD A COLLEGE

COUNSELOR THAT SAID, WHEN YOU

GET OUT OF SCHOOL HERE, YOU'RE

GOING TO BECOME A SECRETARY,

RIGHT?

LIKE YOUR OLDER SISTER.

AND I JUST KIND OF STOPPED AND

THOUGHT, HAD OTHER PEOPLE

FILLING MY HEAD WITH OTHER

IDEAS.

I THOUGHT WHY NOT?

WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THAT?

WHY CAN'T I DO SOMETHING ELSE?

AND YEARS LATER I WENT BACK TO

THAT HIGH SCHOOL AND I FINISHED

COLLEGE AND DID A WHOLE BUNCH OF

THINGS THAT COUNSELOR NEVER

THOUGHT I COULD DO.

AND I NEVER REALLY THOUGHT I

COULD DO MYSELF BECAUSE NO ONE

HAD GIVEN ME THAT ENCOURAGEMENT.

BUT THE TIME THAT IT CAME WAS SO

IMPORTANT IN MY LIFE THAT IT

CHANGED EVERYTHING FOR ME.

EVERYTHING.

AND WITH THAT, IT HELPED TO

CHANGE THE LIFE OF MY YOUNGER

SISTER.

AND I LIKED IT THEN.

THEY ARE THE ONES WITH THE

BRAINS.

THEY ARE THE MATH AND SCIENCE

ENGINEERING AND ALL THAT AND THE

PHDS.

BUT THINGS CAN HAPPEN IN OUR

LIVES THAT CHANGE US THAT ARE SO

PROFOUND THAT CAN MAKE US WHO WE

ARE AND IT'S OKAY.

BECAUSE WE KEEP CHANGING AND WE

ADAPT.

YOU STED IT ALL.

>> AND I WENT BACKING TO MY HIGH

SCHOOL RECENTLY AND MY MATH

TEACHER SAID TO ME, YOU REALLY

COVER ECONOMICS?

[LAUGHTER]

YOU WERE SO BAD AT FRACTIONS.

[LAUGHTER]

I SAID, YES, I REALLY DO.

BUT IT'S TRUE.

ONE THING THAT I PICKED UP FROM

INTERVIEWING VARIOUS PEOPLE

THREW THE BOOK WAS THE STRENGTHS

AND POWER OF THE SUPPORT OF

FAMILY.

GROWING UP, FOR ME, MY PARENTS

ALWAYS TREATED ME AS IF -- TRY

IT.

YOU CAN DO IT.

AND MY PROBLEM OR MY ISSUE WAS

THE FAMILY PROBLEM.

I REMEMBER ONCE I WAS -- I DON'T

KNOW, A TEENAGER AND I WAS

CRYING IN MY BEDROOM OVER A

BOYFRIEND AND MY MOTHER CAME

DOWN AND I WAS REALLY DISTURBED

GOING, I SAID HE WANTS TO BREAK

UP AND PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYONE.

SHE SAID, OKAY.

SHE WALKED OUT OF MY ROOM AND

WENT UPSTAIRS TO THE KITCHEN AND

I HEARD HER TELLING MY FATHER

AND MY BROTHER AND I SAID, I

JUST TOLD HER NOT TO TELL

ANYONE.

BUT IT WAS SUCH A LESSON BECAUSE

IN RETROSPECT, IT MADE ME

REALIZE MY PROBLEM, HOWEVER

SMALL OR BIG, WAS MY WHOLE

FAMILY'S PROBLEM.

AND THAT IS SO POWERFUL BECAUSE

YOU FEEL THAT YOU CAN TAKE A

RISK.

AND THEY'LL CATCH YOU.

AND I THINK AS A PARENT, AS A

DAUGHTER, I THINK THAT IS SO

IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER, TO GIVE

YOUR CHILDREN THAT KIND OF

SUPPORT WHERE -- NOT THEY SHOULD

TRY THINGS RECKLESSLY BUT HAVING

A VISION ON SOLID GROUND ABOUT

SOMETHING, THEY HAVE THE SUPPORT

OF FAMILY.

AND I THINK IT REALLY IS REALLY

PROPELLING FOR A PERSON.

>> DO WE HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION?

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR BEING

HERE.

I WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU BELIEVE

THE PRESS RELEASES.

THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

[LAUGHTER]

AND A QUESTION, WE TALKED ABOUT

CONTINUUM HERE OF THE WORK.

YOU COVER, OBVIOUSLY, BUSINESS

AND YOU SPEAK WITH BUSINESS

LEADERS AND COMMUNITY LEADERS ON

A DAILY BASIS.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE

RESPONSIBILITY OF BUSINESS FOR

DEVELOPING THE WORKPLACE, THE

FUTURE FOR ADDRESSING THE

CURRENT ECONOMIC SITUATIONS,

CERTAINLY THE UNEMPLOYMENT.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THAT?

AND WHO IS DOING IT RIGHT?

I WON'T ASK YOU TO TELL US --

[LAUGHTER]

BUT YOU CAN TELL US A LITTLE BIT

ON WHAT YOU THINK IS BEING DONE

RIGHT AND WHO IS DOING IT.

>> THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION.

I THINK THAT THERE IS A BIG

RESPONSIBILITY ON THE PART OF

BUSINESS AS ALONGSIDE

GOVERNMENT.

GOVERNMENT CAN'T CREATE ALL THE

JOBS AND LET US -- OR TO ALLOW

THE ECONOMY TO GROW.

SO THERE IS AN ENORMOUS

RESPONSIBILITY ON THE PART OF

BUSINESS.

AND THE BUSINESS RIGHT NOW IS

PRESSURED.

AND IN SOME CASES UNWILLING TO

ADD HEADS TO THE PAYROLL.

BUT, I THINK THAT POLICIES CAN

HELP PUT US IN THE DIRECTION TO

BRING JOBS BACK HERE.

WHEN SECRETARY SOLIS AND I WERE

ON THIS ONE HOUR MANUFACTURING

SPECIAL ON CNBC, A LOT OF PEOPLE

WERE UPSET THAT WE WERE -- WE

WERE IN PITTSBURGH.

WE WERE IN THE STEEL CAPITOL AND

THERE WERE STEEL WORKERS SAYING,

LOOK, I LOST MY JOB.

I HAVE 3 KIDS.

ONE OF THEM IS SICK.

MY ASSEMBLY PLANT CLOSED DOWN.

SO, BUSINESS S. WOULD LIKE TO BE

ABLE TO CREATE THOSE JOBS BUT

PROBABLY LOOK FOR SOME KIND OF A

PARTNERSHIP WITH GOVERNMENT IN

TERMS OF DOING SO.

I THINK WE WILL GET THERE.

I THINK IT'S A VERY FRAGILE

MOMENT IN TIME RIGHT NOW.

BUT I THINK THAT LEADERSHIP IN

RETROSPECT, WILL BE REMEMBERED.

COMPANIES THAT COME FORWARD AND

TAKE A STEAK IN THE GROUND AND

CREATE JOBS AND RECOGNIZE THAT

AMERICANS NEED HELP AND AMERICAN

JOBS SHOULD STAY IN AMERICA.

WHO IS DOING IT RIGHT?

I THINK WHILE I WOULD LIKE TO

SAY THAT ALL THE JOBS SHOULD BE

IN AMERICA, WE ALSO HAVE TO BE

WIDE OPEN TO RECOGNIZE WHAT IS

GOING TO IN THE WORLD.

AND THERE ARE A BILLION PEOPLE

ENTERING THE MIDDLE-CLASS RIGHT

NOW OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED

STATES.

AND I THINK WE ALSO HAVE TO BE

STRATEGIC.

HOW DO WE SELL TO THOSE PEOPLE?

HOW DO WE GET OUR PRODUCTS

THERE?

SO I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE I

BELIEVE THAT WE NEED TO TAKE ALL

THE JOBS BACK HERE BECAUSE IT IS

A LITTLE NAIVE AND UNREALISTIC.

WHO IS DOING IT RIGHT AND WHO

ISN'T?

I'LL TELL YOU THIS.

I WENT TO THE CAMPUS RECENTLY

AND SPENT A LOT OF TIME THERE

BECAUSE WE WERE DOINGS A

ONE-HOUR SPECIAL ON GOOGLE.

WHAT I LEARNED AT GOOGLE WAS

THAT THEY ARE ADAPTING TO THE

REALTIES OF THE WORKPLACE.

THAT IS, WE ARE WORKING 24-7.

WE ARE ON OUR BLACKBERRIES AND

ON OUR COM COMPUTERS AND WE ARE

NOT NECESSARILY TAKING OUR EYE

OFF THE BALL WHEN WE LEAVE THE

OFFICE.

WHAT THEY HAVE DONE AT GOOGLE IS

CREATED AN ENVIRONMENT FOR

PEOPLE TO WORK 24-7 AND LOVE

DOING IT.

AND THERE ARE TONS OF SOCIAL

NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES.

THERE ARE CAFETERIAS THAT ARE

WIDE OPEN WITH FREE FOOD.

I MEAN, IT'S AN EXPENSIVE

PROPOSITION BUT GOOGLE DOES IT.

THEY HAVE CAFETERIAS AND

DIFFERENT TYPES OF CULTURAL

FOODS AND IT'S ALL FREE.

AND THEN THEY HAVE MASSAGE

PLACES HERE AND VOLLEYBALL COURT

HERE AND BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS.

THEY PUT 1,000 BIKES AND PEOPLE

GET ON A BIKE AND THEY DRIVE

FROM CAMPUS TO CAMPUS.

I GOT TO SAY, I WAS IMPRESSED.

I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE AMOUNT

OF PERKS AND FOCUS ON THE

EMPLOYEES.

SO THAT EMPLOYEES CAN FEEL HAPPY

WORKING 24-7.

IT'S QUITE CLEVER OF THEM.

BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT FORGET BEING

YOUR JOB AND MAYBE YOU'LL GO TO

WORK AND WORK 4 HOURS AND SAY I

NEED A MASSAGE AND THEN YOU'RE

WORKING ANOTHER 10 HOURS.

YOU DON'T EVEN REALIZE YOU'RE

WORKING SO MUCH MORE THAN YOU

WOULD HAVE.

GOOGLE IS DOING IT WELL.

GE IS TRYING TO DO IT WELL AS

WELL BY CREATING JOBS IN THE

INDUSTRIES THAT WE TALKED ABOUT

EARLIER WHERE THE GROWTH IS.

I HAVE TO BE HONEST, I HAVEN'T

STUDIED THAT SO I DON'T WANT TO

MISSPEAK AND SAY RIGHT OR WRONG

BUT IT'S SOMETHING I WILL LOOK

INTO.

BUT RIGHT OFF THE BAT THOSE ARE

THE TWO COMPANIES I WOULD SAY I

WAS IMPRESSED WITH.

AND GE IS THE PARENT OF MY

NETWORK SO I'M BIASED.

AND WE DO LIKE OUR PRESS

RELEASES.

[LAUGHTER]

>> I THINK WE'RE GOING TO

TRANSITION NOW AND HAVE OUR NEXT

PRESENTATION.

>> GOOD AFTERNOON.

I'M TRACY JOHNSON WITH THE

OFFICE OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS OF THE

BEFORE WE GO AND ENJOY THE

RECEPTION PREPARED BY OUR JOB

CORPS STUDENTS, I WANT TO SAY

THANK YOU TO OUR SECRETARY AND

MRS. MARIA BARTIROMO FOR COMING

AND THAT GREAT DISCUSSION THAT

TOOK PLACE.

[APPLAUSE]

AND THEN ALSO ANOTHER SPECIAL

THANKS TO THE DIRECTOR DIAZ AND

SENIOR ADVISOR FOR PUTTING THIS

EVENT TOGETHER TODAY.

[APPLAUSE]

AND IF YOU DON'T MIND, IF YOU

WILL COME UP TO THE STAGE FOR

OUR PRESENTATION.

ON BAST OF SECRETARY SOLIS WE

WOULD LIKE TO PRESENT YOU WITH

THIS SPECIAL POSTER.

EACH WEEK THE SECRETARY HAS A

SPECIAL MESSAGE SHE DOES IN THE

ELEVATOR.

WE THOUGHT IT BE FITTING THAT WE

GIVE ONE TO MS. MARIA BARTIROMO.

[APPLAUSE]

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME

TODAY.

>> AND ALSO IF YOU ENJOYED

TODAY'S EVENT, WE INVITE YOU TO

COME BACK TOMORROW AT 11:30.

OUR CIVIL RIGHTS CENTER IS

BRINGING MS. KAY CAMPBELL

STEPHENSON HERE.

SHE DOES A WONDERFUL ONE-WOMAN

PERFORMANCE TITLED WOMEN BACK TO

THE FUTURE.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR GUESTS

AND HAVE A GREAT AFTERNOON.

[APPLAUSE]