Photo Gallery: Farewell to Secretary Solis
(January 22, 2013)
- Labor Secretary Solis and Carl Fillichio, senior advisor for communications and public affairs, outside the department's Great Hall as the waiting audience watches a video history of the secretary's tenure.
- Audience in Great Hall greets Secretary Solis. At right is AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka.
- Jane Oates, assistant secretary of labor for employment and training, praises Solis for her efforts in support of America's workers.
- Joseph Main, assistant secretary of labor who heads the Mine Safety and Health Administration, recalls how Solis rushed to the scene of a 2010 mine disaster.
- Solicitor M. Patricia Smith thanks Solis for her service to the department and the nation.
- Kathy Martinez, assistant secretary of labor for disability employment policy, praises Solis for her support of inclusive hiring policies.
- Interior Secretary Ken Salazar jokes that Solis will finally have time for travel - to the national parks.
- Interior Secretary Ken Salazar presents Solis with a book on America's parks.
- Dolores Huerta in the Great Hall audience. A longtime labor leader and civil rights advocate, Huerta is a co-founder of the National Farmworkers Association, which later became the United Farm Workers of America.
- The Secretary gets a comment from someone she always listens to – her mother.
- Labor Secretary Solis says farewell to the department's employees and her senior staff.
- It was standing-room only in the Great Hall for the Solis farewell ceremony.
- A surprise gift appears on stage.
- Secretary Solis, joined by Chief of Staff Ana Ma, inspects the name plate on back of the chair reserved for her at White House Cabinet meetings.
- Secretary Solis' Cabinet chair, with the date she took office.
- Secretary Solis poses for one last photo in her office with her mother and three of her sisters.