Photo Gallery: Employment Education and Outreach (EMPLEO) Event
(June 28, 2012)
- EMPLEO is an alliance dedicated to empowering the Hispanic community in Southern California, especially recent immigrants, though education services and protection of workplace rights and responsibilities.
- DOL's Regional Representative for the Secretary Alicia Villarreal brought Secretary Solis' message of support to the program during the 8th anniversary celebration at the Consulate of Mexico in Los Angeles.
- Francisco Ocampo, assistant district director for the Wage and Hour Division's Los Angles District Office, leads DOL 's participation in EMPLEO.
- Bishop Gerald Barnes of the Diocese of San Bernardino spoke at the event. His Diocese serves as the home for the EMPLEO call center, where volunteers answer calls to the hotline (1-877-55-AYUDA).
- Calls are answered by volunteers trained by DOL staff and other EMPLEO partners, including CHIRLA, the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles. Sandra Goodman (second from left) of the Wage and Hour Division's West Covina District Office works closely with the volunteers and staff of the Diocese to keep the call center running.
- Consul General of Mexico in Los Angeles David Figueroa announced that the consulate would contribute $10,000 to help fund the call center's expenses. The financial and other support provided by the Mexican Consulate has been critical to the center's continuing work.
- The Wage and Hour Division and OSHA actively participate with the consulates in Los Angeles to promote and support EMPLEO, including the Mexican Consulate and the consulates of Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Nicaragua. Pictured Left to Right ((Wage and Hour Division staff unless otherwise identified): Deputy Consul of Mexico in Santa Ana Francisco Anza Solis, Sandra Goodman, Justin Emerick, Paul Chang, Priscilla Garcia, Ralph Valles, Consulate of Mexico at San Bernardino Carolina Zaragoza Flores, Susan Bacon, Consul General David Figueroa, Eduardo Huerta, Secretary's Regional Representative Alicia Villarreal, Kimchi Bui, Priscilla Garcia, OSHA Region IX Regional Administrator Ken Atha, Francisco Ocampo, Consul General of Mexico in Oxnard, Calif., Rogelio Alejandro Flores Mejia.