Photo Gallery: Secretary Solis at Work Force Initiatives, Pittsburgh, Pa.
(June 14, 2012)
- Secretary Solis talks with John Thornton, President of Astrobotic, a company specializing in affordable space exploration and mission technologies that is competing in the Google Xprize competition.
- Astrobotic was spun out of Carnegie Mellon University's Robotics Institute in 2008 and operates under a Sponsored Research Agreement that exclusively licenses space robotics technology to the company.
- Sanna Gaspard, demonstrates a novel device for the early detection of pressure ulcers that her CMU spin-off company Rubitection is commercializing.
- Secretary Solis talks with the creators of Platypus, developing an autonomous robotic airboat capable of long term monitoring of water quality. Markets include energy (fracking water), and aquaculture.
- Redzone Robotics demonstrates their digital robotics designed to improved sewer maintenance.
- Secretary Solis and Aubrey Shick talk about Romibo, a therapeutic robot for children with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Secretary Solis announced nearly $147 million in grants through the Workforce Innovation Fund to find more efficient and effective workforce development strategies as Carnegie Mellon University President Jerry Cohon looks on.