Photo Gallery: Secretary Solis at Hall of Honor Opening
(March 26, 2012)
- Secretary Solis stands for the national anthem during the opening portion of the induction ceremony to honor the pioneers of the farm worker movement.
- Michael Pena, a Hollywood actor who has starred in a number of popular films and television series will play the role of Cesar Chavez in an upcoming film and served as emcee for the day.
- From right to left, Secretary of the Cabinet, Chris Lu; Director of the Domestic Policy Council, Cecilia Munoz; U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack; U.S. Secretary of the Interior, Ken Salazar; and Congressman Raul Grijalva were among the nearly 400 guests on hand to induct the pioneers of the farm worker movement into the Labor Hall of Honor.
- Secretary Salazar, discusses his efforts within the Interior Department to tell a more complete and inclusive story about American Latinos.
- Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack spoke eloquently about the need to continue efforts to ensure agriculture workers and the food they produce are safe and modernize our immigration system.
- Cecilia Munoz, Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council and advisor to President Obama delivers her remarks.
- Paul Chavez, son of Cesar Chavez discusses his father's legacy as actor Michael Pena and Secretary Solis listen in.
- Arturo Rodriguez, President of the United Farm Workers of America reminded attendees of the sacrifice others have made, including giving their lives, to fight for dignity and fair pay.
- Maxima Castellanos Hernandez, widow of Rufino Contreras a 27-year old lettuce striker shot to death during a 1979 picket line, along with Rufino's daughter Nancy Contreras Castellanos and granddaughter Nancy Acosta Contreras were among the families of the pioneers honored.
- Dolores Huerta, who co-founded the United Farm Workers along with Cesar Chavez gives her remarks as the audience of nearly 400 looks on.
- Secretary Solis speaking during the ceremony to induct the Pioneers of the Farm Worker Movement into the newly designed Labor Hall of Honor.
- A local mariachi band leads the speakers from the stage in a ceremonial procession to the unveiling of the Cesar E. Chavez Memorial Auditorium.
- Dr. Jill Biden, wife of Vice President Biden proudly displays a tile portrait of Dolores Huerta as Dolores herself and Secretary Solis gathered before the dedication of the Cesar E. Chavez Memorial Auditorium.
- Secretary Solis, surrounded by members of the Chavez family, Dr. Jill Biden, Secretary Tom Vilsack, Secretary Ken Salazar, and actor Michael Pena on stage to unveil the Cesar E. Chavez Auditorium.
- Paul Chavez, son of Cesar, unveils the newly installed signage for the Cesar E. Chavez Memorial Auditorium.
- Dr. Jill Biden unveils a mosaic portrait of Cesar Chavez, designed by students from Pima County, Arizona's Las Artes Arts and Education Center.
- Secretary Solis encourages attendees to visit the new Labor Hall of Honor as Dr. Jill Biden and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar look on.
- Secretary Solis talks with event attendees in front of the new Labor Hall of Honor.