Photo Gallery: MSHA: 100 Years of Mine Rescue Contests
(October 3-6, 2011)
- A two-man team administers first aid to an injured miner (simulated).
- In the bench contest, participants must restore functionality to breathing apparatuses worn during rescue operations.
- Mine rescuers consult a mine map before advancing underground.
- A rescued miner is placed on a stretcher.
- Ginny, a Dutch shepherd, is being trained by Alpha Natural Resources as the first service dog to search for and rescue miners underground.