Photo Gallery: Declaration of Joint Action to Support Implementation of the Harkin-Engel Protocol
(September 13, 2010)
- Secretary Hilda Solis welcomes Congressman Eliot Engel (left) and Senator Tom Harkin (right) to event announcing resources to combat child labor in Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire. The Department awarded a $10 million dollar grant, Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire committed resources, and the chocolate industry pledged $7 million dollars to carry out the project.
- Labor Minister E.T. Mensah and Honorable Daniel Ohehe Agyekum of Ghana, Labor Minister Emile Guirieoulou and Honorable Yao Charles Koffi of Cote d’Ivoire, and representatives of the international chocolate and cocoa industry joined Secretary Solis at the table.
- Solis tells the group “The initiative will rescue children from the worst forms of child labor, give them access to the education and other services they need, and work to improve the livelihoods of cocoa-growing families and their communities.”
- Senator Harkin engages in dialogue with representatives from the various groups.
- The group discussed the various commitments of resources to the initiative.
- Congressman Eliot Engel elaborates on various ideas on how the group can cooperate together.
- The group continues discussion on the best ways to assist the child labor involved in the cocoa industry.
- Senator Harkin responds to a question from the audience.
- (Seated left to right): Signing the Declaration of Joint Action to Support Implementation of the Harkin-Engel Protocol are Labor Minister Emile Guirieoulou of Cote D’Ivoire, Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis, Labor Minister E.T. Mensah of Ghana, Director of the Washington, D.C. office of the International Labor Organization Nancy Donaldson, Congressman Eliot Engel of New York, Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa and President of the National Confectioners Association Lawrence Graham.
- Secretary Solis and Senator Tom Harkin listen to what Congressman Eliot Engel has to say.
- Labor Minister Emile Guirieoulou and Honorable Yao Charles Koffi of Cote d’Ivoire present a “boubou” to Secretary Solis.
- Congressman Engle, Senator Harkin, and National Confectioners Association President Lawrence Graham fashionably wear attire of Cote d’Ivoire, a gift presented to them by Cote d'Ivoire Labor Minister Emile Guirieoulou.