Photo Gallery: LGBT Round Table meeting
(June 23, 2010)
- Lizbeth Melendez Rivera, acting director of Unid@s the National Latina/o Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Human Rights Organization greets Stuart Milk director of the Harvey Milk Foundation and Gary Gates a senior research fellow at the UCLA Williams Institute before the roundtable.
- Secretary Solis introduces herself to Alan Acosta the director of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian center.
- The members of the roundtable discuss the new interpretation of the Family Medical Leave Act as well as the challenges facing LGBT youth seeking employment.
- Secretary Solis announces the reinterpretation of the FMLA, which expands family leave to caregivers, irrespective of their biological relationship.
- Stuart Milk commenting that his uncle, Harvey Milk, would have been honored by being featured on the department’s poster, but more importantly he would be proud of the FMLA announcement.
- Jennifer Chrisler the Executive Director of the Family Equality Council speaking about the importance of the new interpretation of the FMLA.
- Nazanin Meftah telling the members of the roundtable about the discrimination she faced before the new interpretation of the FMLA.
- Meftah shares her personal struggles with family leave before the recent reinterpretation of FMLA.
- Secretary Solis and assistant secretaries listening to Nazanin Meftah’s story.
- Alan Acosta the director of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center addressing the secretary about the adversity faced by LGBT youth seeking employment.
- Christopher Rodriguez, a beneficiary of the LA Gay and Lesbian Center, speaking about the hardships he faced before receiving help from the center.
- William Wiatrowski, Assistant Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, speaking about the National Compensation Survey being expanded to collect more data on domestic partner benefits.