Turning Green Jobs to Gold, Safely
Green Career Program
The Bureau of Labor Statistics Green Career program produces information on green jobs. The information available for occupations includes: wages, expected job prospects, what workers do on the job, working conditions, and necessary education, training, and credentials. Articles covering new industries will be added periodically.
Sustainability @ DOL
The Department of Labor is committed to continuing to be a Federal government leader in creating a clean energy economy. Under the direction of President Obama’s Executive Order 13514, DOL’s sustainability plan will not only reduce greenhouse gases department-wide, but prioritize sustainability as an integral mode of operation.
Earth Day 2010 Webchat - Secretary Solis Hosted Interactive Discussion with Job Corp Students
In commemoration of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis hosted an interactive Web chat with students from more than 100 Job Corp Centers across the country. Building on Recovery Act funds for construction, rehabilitation, acquisition and operations, many Job Corps centers have implemented "green" student training programs and commenced green construction projects at more than 65 centers.
Announcements About Green Jobs
- July 22, 2011: BLS publishes "Careers in Green Construction" report [PDF]
- June 23, 2011: BLS publishes "Careers in Solar Power" report [PDF]
- March 29, 2010: U.S. Labor Department announces $2 million grant competition to train veterans in green jobs
- March 16, 2010: BLS published a Notice that presents definitions BLS will use in measuring green jobs and solicits comments on the definition and on specific questions concerning the definition [PDF]
- January 20, 2010: U.S. Department of Labor Announces Nearly $190 Million in State Energy Sector Partnership and Training Grants for Green Jobs | Audio & Video
- January 13, 2010: U.S. Department of Labor Announces $150 Million in "Pathways Out of Poverty" Training Grants for Green Jobs
- January 6, 2010: U.S. Department of Labor Announces $100 Million in Green Jobs Training Grants through Recovery Act | Audio & Video
- December 16, 2009: Assistant Secretary for Occupational Safety and Health David Michaels' Remarks on "Making Green Jobs Safe: Integrating Occupational Safety & Health into Green and Sustainability"
- November 18, 2009: U.S. Department of Labor Announces Nearly $55 Million in Green Jobs Training Grants through Recovery Act
- Assistant Secretary for Disability Employment Policy Kathy Martinez and Deputy Assistant Secretary for Employment and Training Gerri Fiala prepare for the discussion (Panel Discussion about Including People with Disabilities in the Green Jobs Pipeline; December 16, 2009)
- Secretary Solis Secretary Solis speaks at Youth Energy Forum (Youth Energy Forum in Washington, D.C.; December 2, 2009)
- Forum panelists EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson and Secretary Solis take questions submitted online (Youth Energy Forum in Washington, D.C.; December 2, 2009)
- Secretary Solis and other panelists during the taping of the "Meeting of the Minds: Rebuilding America" (November 30, 2009)
- Secretary Solis answers a question (Meeting of the Minds: Rebuilding America; November 30, 2009)
- Secretary Solis and White House Director of Urban Affairs Adolfo Carrion sit at a workbench and look at electrical tools while visiting the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Training Facility (November 24, 2009)
- Secretary Solis, White House officials and labor leaders also had an opportunity to climb to the center's rooftop, where more than 2,600 solar panels help the facility save more than $400,000 a year (November 24, 2009)
- Secretary Solis, White House officials and Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villarigosa learn of the automotive and diesel technology training students are getting at Los Angeles Trade Technical College, where students can take advantage of more than 52 green-integrated courses and four green-related degree and certificate programs in career-technical, science and health. (November 24, 2009)
- Secretary Solis learns more about the training at Los Angeles Trade Technical College (November 24, 2009)
- Secretary Solis touring Los Angeles Trade Technical College with Mayor Villarigosa and others (November 24, 2009)
- Secretary Solis addresses the conference (October 27, 2009)
- Ed Begley, Jr. and Secretary Solis visit the exhibition (October 27, 2009)
- Secretary Solis tours Solar Power International EXPO where more than 400 exhibitors demonstrated the latest solar technology (October 27, 2009)
- During a press conference Secretary Solis demonstrates a smart meter (October 27, 2009)
- NV Energy employee explains the mechanism behind smart grid technology (October 27, 2009)
- Secretary Solis tours NV Energy facility where she announced a grant for $138 million in federal funds for smart grid technology (October 27, 2009)