Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act (PCA)
The Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act (PCA) requires contractors engaged in the manufacturing or furnishing of materials, supplies, articles, or equipment to the U.S. government or the District of Columbia to pay employees who produce, assemble, handle, or ship goods under contracts exceeding $10,000, the federal minimum wage for all hours worked and time and one half their regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek.
The PCA is enforced by the Employment Standards Administration's Wage and Hour Division (WHD) within the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL).
- Employment Law Guide - Wages in Supply & Equipment Contracts - Describes the coverage and requirements of the PCA for contractors with contracts in excess of $10,000 for the manufacturing or furnishing of materials, supplies, articles, or equipment to the U.S. government or the District of Columbia.
- PCA Compliance Assistance Web Page
- Filing a complaint - DOL's Wage and Hour Division manages complaints regarding violations of the various laws and regulations it administers. To file a complaint concerning one of these laws, contact your nearest Wage and Hour Division office or call the Department's Toll-Free Wage and Hour HelpLine at 1-866-4-US-WAGE.
- Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act (PCA) - Provides for a minimum wage and prohibits employment of youth under 16 and convicts on certain federal contracts.
- 41 CFR Chapter 50 - Regulations pertaining to public contracts.
- 41 CFR Part 50-201 - General regulations on public contracts.
- 41 CFR Part 50-202 - Regulations on minimum wage determinations.
- DOL's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) - OFCCP administers the laws prohibiting discrimination in hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, or national origin by government contractors and subcontractors and federally assisted construction contracts and subcontracts. See also Compliance Assistance By Topic - Equal Employment Opportunity.
- See also Compliance Assistance By Topic - Wages and Hours Worked - Wages under Federal Contracts
For questions on other DOL laws,
please call DOL's Toll-Free Help Line at 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365). Live assistance is available in English and Spanish, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Additional service is available in more than 140 languages through a translation service. Tel: 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365)
*Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Labor's Confidentiality Protocol for Compliance Assistance Inquiries, information provided by a telephone caller will be kept confidential within the bounds of the law. Compliance assistance inquiries will not trigger an inspection, audit, investigation, etc.