Consumer Credit Protection Act
The federal wage garnishment law, Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA), protects employees from discharge by their employers because their wages have been garnished for any one debt, and limits the amount of an employee's earnings that may be garnished in any one week. The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the Department of Labor administers this Act.
- Employment Law Guide: Wage Garnishment - Describes in easy to understand language the statutes and regulations administered by DOL that regulate wage garnishment.
- Fact Sheet #30: The Federal Wage Garnishment Law, Consumer Credit Protection Act's Title 3 (CCPA) - Provides general information concerning the amount that may be withheld from a person's earnings under the CCPA and an employees' protection from termination because of garnishment for any single debt.
- Fact Sheet: Visits to Employers - Provides general information about the laws enforced by the Wage and Hour Division.
- Consumer Credit Protection Act - Protects employees from discharge by their employers because their wages have been garnished for any one debt, and limits the amount of an employee's earnings that may be garnished in any one week.
- 29 CFR Part 870 - Regulations on the restriction on garnishment.
- Letter To Employer & Important Notice To Employer (PDF) - A wage garnishment form to be sent by federal employees to their employing agencies.
Wage and Hour Division
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20210
Tel: 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243)
TTY: 1-877-889-5627Local Offices
- For questions on other DOL laws,
please call DOL's Toll-Free Help Line at 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365). Live assistance is
available in English and Spanish, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Additional service is available in more than 140 languages through a translation service.
Tel: 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365)
*Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Labor's Confidentiality Protocol for Compliance Assistance Inquiries, information provided by a telephone caller will be kept confidential within the bounds of the law. Compliance assistance inquiries will not trigger an inspection, audit, investigation, etc.