Office of Labor-Management Standards (OLMS)
Compliance Assistance — Employee Protections Under the Federal Transit Law, 49 U.S.C. § 5333(b) (formerly identified as Section 13(c) of the Federal Transit Act)
Synopsis of Law
An employer who receives Federal mass transit funds must protect all covered mass transit employees affected by the use of the Federal money. The Department of Labor must approve the arrangements made to protect these employees. For covered employees the arrangements include:
- preserving their rights and benefits;
- continuing their collective bargaining rights;
- protecting them against a worsening of their employment conditions;
- assuring jobs for employees of acquired mass transit systems;
- providing priority of reemployment if the employee is laid off or his job is eliminated; and
- providing paid training.
Compliance Assistance Materials
- Transit Employee Protection Publications
- Checklist and Instructions for How to Obtain Application of the Special Warranty Agreement for Other Than Urbanized and Over-the-Road Bus Accessibility Grants HTML | PDF
- Checklist and Instructions for How to Obtain DOL Certification for Urban Transit Grants HTML | PDF
- Sample Format for OTU and OTRB Recipients to Provide Labor Information HTML | PDF
- How to Obtain an Application of the Section 13(c)Warranty for a Small Urban and Rural Grant
- Checklist for Urban Program
Protective Arrangements - Protective Terms and other Related Documents
- The National (Model) Agreement
- Special Warranty for the Small Urban and Rural Program and the Over-the-Road-Bus-Program HTML | PDF
- Non-union Arrangement HTML| PDF
- Appendix C-1 (4056) Rail Passenger Service Act of 1970) HTML | PDF
- Hodgson Affidavit HTML | PDF
- Las Vegas Certification HTML | PDF
- Las Vegas Clarification HTML | PDF
Questions & Answers
- What is Section 13(c)?
- What Employee Protections does Section 13(c) require?
- Does Section 13(c) guarantee continued employment with a transit provider?
- Does Section 13(c) confer collective bargaining rights upon transit employees?
- How are these employee protections developed?
Last Updated: 6-12-14