Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protects service members' reemployment rights when returning from a period of service in the uniformed services, including those called up from the reserves or National Guard, and prohibits employer discrimination based on military service or obligation. The U.S. Department of Labors (DOL) Veterans Employment and Training Service (VETS) administers USERRA.
- Employment Law Guide - Uniformed Service Members - Describes the basic provisions and requirements of reemployment rights and veterans' preference afforded persons who perform duty, voluntarily or involuntarily, in the uniformed services, which include the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, and Public Health Service commissioned corps, as well as the reserve components of each of these services.
- Veterans' Employment and Training Service's Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) Guide - Contains general information about USERRA.
- "Your Rights under USERRA" - Describes the required notice employers must provide to workers covered by USERRA.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Reservists being Called to Active Duty
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- Job Rights for Veterans and Reserve Component Members - Provides information to all veterans having claims under USERRA.
- FMLA/USERRA Guidance Memo - A Department of Labor memorandum that clarifies its position on the rights of returning service members to family and medical leave under USERRA.
- elaws Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) Advisor - Helps employees and contractors understand veterans' employee eligibility and job entitlements for reservists and National Guard returning to private employment. Allows service members to submit a USERRA complaint form electronically.
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) - Protects service members' reemployment rights when returning from a period of service in the uniformed services, including those called up from the reserves or National Guard, and prohibits employer discrimination based on military service or obligation.
- 20 CFR Part 1002 - Final regulations issued December 19, 2005 that implement the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994, as amended (USERRA). This rule, which explains the employment and reemployment rights and benefits of service members who are returning to civilian life, is effective on January 18, 2006.
- 20 CFR Part 1002 - Final regulations issued December 19, 2005 that implement the notice requirements of the Veterans Benefits Improvement Act of 2004 (VBIA). This rule is effective on January 18, 2006 and replaces the interim final rule of March 10, 2005.
- Employment Law Guide - Employment Discrimination and Equal Opportunity for Certain Veterans Who Served on Active Duty and Special Disabled Veterans - Describes the affirmative action requirements of covered contractors and subcontractors to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, recently separated veterans, and any other veterans who served on active duty during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized.
- Jobs for Veterans Act (PDF) - A revision to VEVRAA to improve employment, training, and placement of services furnished to veterans.
- Veterans' Preference Information Page - Provides links to Web-based information on Veterans' Preference for employment by federal agencies.
- elaws Veterans Preference Advisor - Helps veterans examine preferences they may be entitled to with regard to federal employment.
- Federal Contractor Program - Provides information on affirmative action designed to hire and promote special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, recently separated veterans, and any other veterans who served on active duty during a war.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Veterans
- Homeless Veterans' Reintegration Program (HVRP) Fact Sheet - Provides information on services to assist in reintegrating homeless veterans into meaningful employment within the labor force.
- elaws E-VETS Resource Advisor - Helps active duty personnel, veterans, reservists, Guard members, and their family members sort through the vast amount of resources available on the Internet.
- Veterans Employment Opportunities - Resources for separated veterans seeking private employment.
- Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) - Provides information on programs and benefits for veterans and locations of VA facilities worldwide.
- See also Compliance Assistance By Topic - Hiring Issues - Hiring Veterans
- Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS)
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20210
Tel: 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365) (1-866-487-2365) or 202-693-4770
- For questions on other DOL laws,
please call DOL's Toll-Free Help Line at 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365). Live assistance is available in English and Spanish, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Additional service is available in more than 140 languages through a translation service.
Tel: 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365)
*Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Labor's Confidentiality Protocol for Compliance Assistance Inquiries, information provided by a telephone caller will be kept confidential within the bounds of the law. Compliance assistance inquiries will not trigger an inspection, audit, investigation, etc.